No announcement yet.
X

wd40 on the chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't ever clean my chain.... I re-lube with 10w 30 oil often and use either my finger or rubber gloves to roll all the rollers on the chain so the oil gets to where it needs, then I will wipe it with a rag. Oh, and I don't ride on dirt or rock roads (not even sure there are any even close anymore).. 29k out of the stock chain and I'm at 58K now...and only on my second chain-- it still is doing great (better than the stock chain at this point).
    Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

Want to hear about this mysterious WD-40 article that hasn't showed up yet...

Comment

Some part of WD-40 is silicon-based. It won't start a diesel engine. I've tried. The engine started faster without using it, actually. I'm sure it made a nice upper cylinder lube, though. Might have cleaned out some loose carbon, too.

I tend to wonder if Liquid Wrench would work similarly (life span et al) as this WD-40 trickery... maybe if used in tandem, extend the life of the chain even further?
        Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

2001 Katana 750 'fighter build in progress

Comment

Idea, maybe just silicone spray on the chain if you don't need a good cleaning?

Then WD-40 when the chain is dirty and a scrub?

I'm just wondering if the silicone was the ingredient you were thinking of as the active lube for the o-rings...?

Comment

Is this what you guys are looking for?

Part 1:

Part 2:

Comment

WD40 is also a penetrant and will also dissolve grease. When it gets past the o-rings, the grease is broken down leaving little more than WD40 to lubricate the rollers on the pins. Shear forces and pressure present in a motorcycle chain are stresses well beyond the lubricating properties WD40 can provide.

I see a strong correlation between the good results of WD40 and the ease of use, the tendency for a WD40-user to lube very often, the desire for a clean chain from the average WD40 user and the fact that most folks using WD40 are more vigilant about chain care than the average rider.

It's less about the product and more about the habits in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by kramiton View Post
                It's less about the product and more about the habits in my opinion.

+1

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

wow wish i was that organized.i rather do my test on the road though

Comment

I've been using oil eater to clean and 80w-90 to lube.
                    2005 Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by smith View Post
                      I've been using oil eater to clean and 80w-90 to lube.
                      You must have a messy back end on your ride. I can't stand the fling-off from 80-90. It gets all over the tail section and the wheel and everything... Good lube I admit, but messy.

Comment

Working...
                      X