X

520 conversion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 520 conversion?

I got a 14/48 on a pre 750 i think its a 530 but don't care...
    If I switch to a 15/46 in a 520, would that be too much of a step down???

Who makes a 520 conversion or can I use gsxr sprockets.

I kinda want an ek blue chain how well do they stay colored and hold up?
    Any one tried one?
    1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
    1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
    Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

i have never used colored chains, i have a gold DID on my bike and it looks great. that is quite a change in gearing... your current set up is this top speed in each gear

Speed 1st Gear 41.91
    Speed 2nd Gear 62.65
    Speed 3rd Gear 78.45
    Speed 4th Gear 92.29
    Speed 5th Gear 105.28
    Speed 6th Gear 117.98

making the switch will set it at this

Speed 1st Gear 46.85
    Speed 2nd Gear 70.04
    Speed 3rd Gear 87.71
    Speed 4th Gear 103.19
    Speed 5th Gear 117.71
    Speed 6th Gear 131.9

those numbers are assuming the bike is stock except for the sprocket set up, but it gives you a general idea of what will happen. making the switch will give you a little less acceleration in change for top end speed and little better fuel economy
    Last edited by Suzukii600; 06-04-2010, 07:23 PM. Reason: updated speed for a 170/60 so speeds should be closer
    Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

That would be nice cause the 28 mpg max is annoying and your miles per hour where not accurate cause I'm running a 170/60 rear.

But I do like the acceleration maybe I should do a 14/46 to keep the pep and drop the rpms.

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckie29 View Post
        That would be nice cause the 28 mpg max is annoying and your miles per hour where not accurate cause I'm running a 170/60 rear.

But I do like the acceleration maybe I should do a 14/46 to keep the pep and drop the rpms.
        i updated the speeds for that size tire. should be a little more accurate.... if you want to play with different tire sprocket combos... i use www.gearingcommander.com

i run 14/47 on my 05 600... im getting 48 mpg... you should check your carbs... and i ride my bike hard, i'm by no means conservative on my throttle.
        Last edited by Suzukii600; 06-04-2010, 07:31 PM.
        Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

I'm not sure its the carbs but the air pods and vance and hines exhaust mess with my tuning, I need to find out which jet kit is has to and maybe upgrade but I think its a stage 3 race kit.
          None of that is good on mpg.

Comment

I went with the stock 15/47 gearing on my pre 750 520 convertion. The ratio works fine for me, my only complaint would be the 520 kit came with a aluminum rear sprocket, had I known that I would have never bought it. I'm sure there are
            others who would disagree, and so far I've had no issues.
            Richard
            96 Suzuki GSX750F
            89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
            05 Yamaha WR450F
            05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

15/47 is stock and I had 1 down/1 up which means I have lots of low end grunt but top end suffers which explains my high rpm highway riding.

Comment

On my 89 750 I am running a 14/47 set up. Gives me low end torque but I have lost some top end. I am running a 530 pitch setup. Not sure what the hype about a 520 conversion is unless you are racing. I mean there is weight reduction but not that much to worry about. I also think 520 pitch is a little cheaper in pricing.
                www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Since alot of the SS bikes use 520, there are alot more options, sprocket sizes, and lower prices over the 530 pitch.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I put 15/50 520 kit on my kat and love the throttle response it has but I don't do alot of highway action.
                    I put my EK yellow chain on at the end of winter and since put about 400+ miles on it and still looks good.
                    sigpicTrust me I know everything! Just ask!

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                      Not sure what the hype about a 520 conversion is unless you are racing. I mean there is weight reduction but not that much to worry about. I also think 520 pitch is a little cheaper in pricing.
                      I don't get why everyone calls it a conversion. New chain and sprockets, big deal..

A 520 chain set (sprockets and chain) can be found cheaper than 530 sets.
                      There may even be a wider range of options in terms of sizes.

The strength of a 530 chain over a 520 chain is a minimal as the weight (on a good chain as low as 10%).

The smaller surface area of the 520 (20% smaller than a 530) will increase the friction load and wear faster.

A high quality chain will meet or exceed the specs. A cheap "store brand" chain? Who knows. So a good 520 chain might be stronger and last longer than a cheap 530 anyway.

I have seen high quality RK/Vortex 520 combos selling for the same price as lower grade or no-name brand 530 combos.

IMO I would liken it to this; I would rather buy a used somewhat smelly Vanson leather jacket than a flashy ICON textile one for the same price..
                      I would rather put the highest quality chain/sprocket combo on my bike even if it meant going to 520. (and I did)

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                        I don't get why everyone calls it a conversion. New chain and sprockets, big deal..

A 520 chain set (sprockets and chain) can be found cheaper than 530 sets.
                        There may even be a wider range of options in terms of sizes.

The strength of a 530 chain over a 520 chain is a minimal as the weight (on a good chain as low as 10%).

The smaller surface area of the 520 (20% smaller than a 530) will increase the friction load and wear faster.

A high quality chain will meet or exceed the specs. A cheap "store brand" chain? Who knows. So a good 520 chain might be stronger and last longer than a cheap 530 anyway.

I have seen high quality RK/Vortex 520 combos selling for the same price as lower grade or no-name brand 530 combos.

IMO I would liken it to this; I would rather buy a used somewhat smelly Vanson leather jacket than a flashy ICON textile one for the same price..
                        I would rather put the highest quality chain/sprocket combo on my bike even if it meant going to 520. (and I did)
                        Great point but what part numbers would i use for the 520 sprockets?

Comment

Ok what part numbers were the sprockets. I need to know these in order to take care of KR members.
                          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

You can go to the Vortex website ( http://www.vortexracing.com ) and just do a search for the Kats for the sprocket you want. Then order them from someone who carries them, because they will be cheaper just about anywhere else...

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                            X