What tire do you recommend?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tire do you recommend?

So here is my situation.

I am new to riding motorcycles(think new as in know enough to get from point A to point B, but not enough to feel confident on a twisty yet lol)

First bike is a 91 Katana 600.

Currently working on getting it up and running and ready to ride.(thats a whole nother thread I might started up as I am stumped on a flooding issue.)

I'd like to know what Tire/Brand/Size people recommend(and why.)
    Money is an issue, so cheaper the better, but I understand that you pay for what you get as well, so not so cheap as to cause issues, Hoping under 200 for a set but definatly under 250.

My riding style right now is slow and cautious. I know that my Kat has a lot more power and ability then I could handle if I was to twist the throttle all the way down right now. I can respect that, but I also realize that by the end of this summer I'll most likely feel a lot more confident with my ability's and be trying to keep up with others on weekend rides.(yes I know, still always ride within my own limits)

So with that background, I'd like to hear what tires some of you more experienced riders would recommend and possibly a little bit about why you recommend that tire/brand.

(Links to amazing deals online greatly appreciated as well lol)
    I never knew what I was getting myself into....

I used to only run Michelen Pilot Powers (great tires) but if you are on a budget, try the Shinko 006 Podiums... I currently run them and they work well. Still pretty good. I can drag a knee. Last over 8k miles. Been caught in the rain with them a couple of times and they worked well.

If you want great tires, pay the money for Michelen's. But if you are on a budget, try the Shinko's.....

Just my experience, I am sure there will be more opinions..

Comment

Your bike stock size is a 110/80/17 front and a 140/70/17 rear. Now those tire sizes are hard to come by for the most part. Dunlop makes a tire in these sizes in the Gt501. However you can run a 110/70/17 on the front a 150/70/17 on the rear. The pre98 750 kats cam stock with a 150/70/17 rear. I am running some sport touring tires right now called the Conti Motion. They are doing pretty good and for the money not bad. I can get you those for $215 and I can give you a discount code that gives you 12% off the total.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Good luck on the new bike! And remember what they say about opinions

I just got a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's, there just broken in and I love them.
        I got them in the highly recommended, at least for a 750, sizes of 120/70ZR17 front and 150/70ZR17 rear. And as far as I kow the wheelbase and geomitry is the same so I can't imagine why it won't be the hot setup for your 600 also.

I used Motorcycle superstore for mine but there are many out there.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
        Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
        R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
        1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
        RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
        3BBB turn signal mirrors,
        Black painted seat and rear trim,
        Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Thank everyone for your replies, Just picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Roads from a friend for 90$, Slightly used but probably less then 500 miles on them total. Little larger tire then I cared for in the rear but can't beat the price. 160/60ZR17 & 120/60ZR17.
          I never knew what I was getting myself into....

Comment

It seems you have answered your own question ....
            Make sure you check the manufactured date on the tires first.
            Last edited by jbo197; 06-02-2010, 02:51 PM.

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Same tires I run. I love em', they have lasted me two riding seasons of pretty good backroads and lots of highway. Its just about time for a new rear.

Comment

Just keep in mind, riding in OR usually means chip sealed roads in the mountains, or anywhere east of the Cascades, which eats softer tires like a grinding wheel. Tires like the Continental Road Attacks and the Pilot Power 2ct's grip like crazy, but only last around 3600 miles before the rar tire is worn away to nothing out here. I'm running PP2ct front and Pilot Road 2 rear tire right now on my 05 GSX-R750, and have over 9k miles on them and they're still going stong. Being a new rider a PR2 front and rear should have more than enough grip in the corners, and would last at least 2 if not 3 seasons.
                John,
                '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X