X

can't seat the bead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't seat the bead

i bought a new 150 pilot for the rear of my pre kat, but cant seem to get the bead to seat. i've only changed a few bike tires and this driving my crazy. i have air flowing into it, bead sealer goop on tire and rim and i even built a bead sealer using a 10L propane tank and a 1 1/4" ball valve but no success. i do change alot of car tires and i have my own tire machine and balancer so i'm feeling a little defeated about this.
    i dont know how much experience anyone here has with tire installs but it feels good to vent

Steve

Originally posted by Jr_toy View Post
    i bought a new 150 pilot for the rear of my pre kat, but cant seem to get the bead to seat. i've only changed a few bike tires and this driving my crazy. i have air flowing into it, bead sealer goop on tire and rim and i even built a bead sealer using a 10L propane tank and a 1 1/4" ball valve but no success. i do change alot of car tires and i have my own tire machine and balancer so i'm feeling a little defeated about this.
    i dont know how much experience anyone here has with tire installs but it feels good to vent

Steve
    Have you tried a strap around the center?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Try bouncing the tire on the ground like you would a car tire. It helps to spread the tire around the rim. I had to do this with a few tires when I mounted them. Should pop in place after that.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I've had the tire upright and pushed on it or had to roll it while pushing on i to get them started before. Strap sounds like an easier way to do the same thing though.
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Im surprise the air tank didnt work, thats what most truck shops use. Are you filling the tire with the valve core in? If you are, remove it to seat the bead.

Everyones opinion is good: I normally do the rachet strap trick first, just dont let the tire buckle becuase it will make even bigger gaps. Then I bust out the starter fluid. BE CAREFUL. I am not liable for any lost eye brows. (Ask me how I know) Spray the starter fluid inside the tire all the way around, use a good bid bit, but not the whole can. Then light it, I like to use a trigger propane torch so I can hit it and step back. If you do it right it will burn off all the starter fluid and not catch fire, but just in case have some water, or a fire extinquisher handy.

Before everyone chimes in and screams, "Its not safe!!!" Ive done it dozens of times and have yet to hurt myself or any tires. Just please please be careful.
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
            Before everyone chimes in and screams, "Its not safe!!!" Ive done it dozens of times and have yet to hurt myself or any tires. Just please please be careful.
            I've never hurt myself doing it either, but I did bounce a big truck tire off the ground like that, so I could see it being possible to hurt yourself that way. Well, at least you could break a toe or something. We would always just light a match and throw it in there, but I like your method better.

FWIW, I've never had to use this method on a motorcycle tire. Tire lube all over the bead, valve core out, and some pushing and pulling should seat it.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

well i tried two ratchets, bounced it , ether, air blaster, and in the end i pulled the tire back off the rim added a little goop put it back on found the sweet spot and it seated, about 4 hours of my life i'll never get back. good thing it wasn't a customers

Steve

Comment

I don't know if you have ever tried rally car tires but the worst one I ever had to do, the bead sealed, but didn't seat fully seat until 105 psi.

Talk about full pucker on my rear.

That was a Michelin dirt rally tire for a Subaru.
                Last edited by jetmerritt; 05-15-2010, 11:31 PM. Reason: Missed a word

Comment

I had the same problem tonight! Tried strap, bounce, 2 straps, rubber mallet, push and roll. No luck I just gave up. I'm going to let the shop do it tomorrow.
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                  Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                  R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                  1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                  RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                  3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                  Black painted seat and rear trim,
                  Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
                    I don't know if you have ever tried rally car tires but the worst one I ever had to do, the bead sealed, but didn't seat fully seat until 105 psi.

Talk about full pucker on my rear.

That was a Michelin dirt rally tire for a Subaru.
                    The toughest ones I ever had were runflats on a Corvette. Low profile, and it was unreal how stiff the sidewall was.

I know that puckering feeling when you've got the pressure over about 80psi trying to get the bead to seat..... latch the air chuck on, and stand as far away as you can while still being able to hit the pedal.......
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

This is still going on for me. Two bike shops, a garage, and my local tire shop! I'm still not riding! I pulled the tire off the rim to re-clean the bead, my tire guy said he will try again tomorrow.
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                      Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                      R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                      1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                      RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                      3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                      Black painted seat and rear trim,
                      Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Working...