X

Do I remove chain grease?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I remove chain grease?

I bought an EX530 chain and I am about to instal it but do I remove the chain grease after the instead and then oil the chain or do I oil the chain over the grease?

Can't tell what you should do, but I removed the packing grease with kerosene and reapplyed my own lube.
    -2000 "750"

Comment

The instructions on the chains I had last year said to soak the chain in kero for up to 24 hours then scrub lightly... install... and relube.

I decided to leave the packing grease on for the first few hundred miles. The only downside was a grease slick on the center stand I had to clean off.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
        Can't tell what you should do, but I removed the packing grease with kerosene and reapplyed my own lube.
        Kerosene and a small paint brush. I wasnt sure if the packing grease was chain lube or just anti-rust coating so I figured it was safer to start from scratch.
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

That is conservation grease not propper chain lube. Remove and re-lube after install.
          Too old to dream, too young to reason...
          I am fond of my rough edges.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes remove the packing grease and relube it. If you don't that packing grease will get over everything. Ask me how I know.
            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Yes you must remove the packing grease. This is on so that it dont go rusty on the shelf. Clean chain/sprocket and re-lube.
              Your damned if you do, and your damned if you don't (Bart Simpson)

Comment

cool thanks folks

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                  Yes remove the packing grease and relube it. If you don't that packing grease will get over everything. Ask me how I know.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                    i know how you know!!!
                    sigpicwww.violationmotorcyclegear.com
                    www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

that crap makes a mess..........took me a whole riding season to get that stuff off the bike
                      This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                      BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Is mineral spirits safe to use to clean a chain?

Comment

Working...
                        X