Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

First Post, just bought bike and want to change Chain / Sprocket! Please help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post, just bought bike and want to change Chain / Sprocket! Please help!

Ok, for starters

My name is Matt, and I just recently purchased my first bike (a 1999 Katana 750). I love the bike so far, and I am now doing all of the maintenence that the previous owner did not do!

Now for the question!!

I have done my research and for improved acceleration People have recommended going with a 520 chain.
    Also, for gearing I would want the max low-end torque - high end does not really matter to me as I dont plan on going over 100mph any time soon.. So from what I have read, For max Low-end torque I should go with down -1 in front +4 in the back ?
    What is my stock gearing for a 99 katana 750?

Feed free to offer any other suggestions if you know a better setup for the most acceleration and low end torque I can get out of this bike!

Last but not Least!! Where would you recommend me purchasing said equipment!
    Thanks in advance, and sorry if I was being repetetive, I am just totally clueless!

-Matt
    Last edited by 750z; 01-19-2010, 03:28 PM.

530 or 520 won't make a noticeable change to your bikes performance. 530 may last longer, 520 gives you more options. In my experiance so far... Neither is going to make that much of a difference unless your abusing them.

Don't decrease the size of the front sprocket. That WILL decrease the life of any chain you put on due to increase wear (too tight a radius).

I would suggest +3 on the back is about all your really going to need if you want to keep the bike rideable. This will effectively make 2nd gear feel like first... and so on. Get on the highway, ride in 5th gear only... do you like it? That's what +3 in the rear only will do for you.

sumofallparts worked well for me on a nice 520 chain conversion, and they offered a vortex sprocket in the size I wanted (50 tooth) that no other source could.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the fast response! I think i'll PM and see what he can do for me.

-Matt

Comment

Welcome to KR, Matt! Krey's got it right.
        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

If it's a brand new (to you) bike- and it's ten years old there are a couple things I would do first. Maybe grab an OEM oil filter and put some fresh synthetic in her (I like Mobil1 4T). It's probably not a bad idea to get an OEM replacement air filter too. Once you know for sure that she's well lubricated and breathing right you can start screwing with the sprocket ratios etc. Welcome aboard, btw.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
          -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

you are right! I've learned a lot from my local mechanic. He cleaned out the carbs for me, Sync'd them, fixed a few leaks here and there, and we completely de-greased the bike. Only thing he recommends me doing is changing the chain because it is shot, you can hear the thing screech when it hits a certain spot, and has been tightened to the max. I rode my friends cbr900 and I almost sh*t my pants, thus I need some more torque

Thanks a bunch guys

Oh, and I have one more question.

Should I be putting 93 octane in my 750 Kat? Or will that do nothing more than hurt her?
            Last edited by 750z; 01-21-2010, 08:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by 750z View Post
              you are right! I've learned a lot from my local mechanic. He cleaned out the carbs for me, Sync'd them, fixed a few leaks here and there, and we completely de-greased the bike. Only thing he recommends me doing is changing the chain because it is shot, you can hear the thing screech when it hits a certain spot, and has been tightened to the max. I rode my friends cbr900 and I almost sh*t my pants, thus I need some more torque

Thanks a bunch guys

Oh, and I have one more question.

Should I be putting 93 octane in my 750 Kat? Or will that do nothing more than hurt her?
              well since this is your first bike and you havent been riding long then i wouldnt suggest changing sprockets, get use to the power the bike has now especially in corners, 93 is not needed, factory reccommends 87 but since theres so much ethanol in gas these days i would run 89, 93 will not hurt it at all just wont make it really run any better.
              sigpic
              -Cory-
              1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

There's some debate about that. 93 octane seems like overkill to me. I've never had any issues running 89. But ethanol -does- suck. I don't know that it degrades the combustion quality so much as just running dirty. Dunno if boosting the octane makes it run any cleaner.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Working...
                X