Need Advice ASAP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice ASAP

Saw these on ebay:

I was wondering if you think it would be wise to have a spare set of rims around? I am going to get my rims powdercoated white, so would it be smart to have a set of black ones as a back up? I was looking for wheel bearings and ran accross this one and another one. Both for 100 a piece with 25 shipping on both, but I think that if I email the guy I could probably get them for 200 shipped.

So what should I do, just buy the bearings or spend the 200 and get a set of rims???????????

Why do you need 2 set's of rims would be my first question. It seems (to me) that these would just be taking up space and collecting dust.
    Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
      Why do you need 2 set's of rims would be my first question. It seems (to me) that these would just be taking up space and collecting dust.
      sigpic
      -Cory-
      1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

I thought that too...but then I got to thinking what if I don't like the white rims??? I guess that I am just a little aprehensive about taking the wheels off the bike, don't know what the H E double hockey sticks I am doing!!

Comment

Originally posted by WallacE View Post
          Saw these on ebay:

I was wondering if you think it would be wise to have a spare set of rims around? I am going to get my rims powdercoated white, so would it be smart to have a set of black ones as a back up? I was looking for wheel bearings and ran accross this one and another one. Both for 100 a piece with 25 shipping on both, but I think that if I email the guy I could probably get them for 200 shipped.

So what should I do, just buy the bearings or spend the 200 and get a set of rims???????????
          I would spray paint the rims white, put them on and see if you like it. If not, take em off, spray another color and check if you like it. Once you got a color picked out, then have them powdercoated that color.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            I would spray paint the rims white, put them on and see if you like it. If not, take em off, spray another color and check if you like it. Once you got a color picked out, then have them powdercoated that color.
            This. No need for two sets of rims, save the money and space.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Krey

OK, this seems logical to me...Does anyone know where there is a step by step how to on taking the wheels off? Is there any dimensions/measurements I need to make note of? Is there something that I should NOT do? I bought a moto jack specifically for this reason, so I have the tools that need to be done. But I have never worked on moto's before. You give me a 65 mustang I can tear her down and put her back together, but a motorcycle is greek to me. I have the manual that I printed off of here, but the descriptions seem pretty vague. I guess if no one has anything I will just go off of that.

PS thanks for the tip on spraypainting, I really like that idea.

Comment

OK, this seems logical to me...Does anyone know where there is a step by step how to on taking the wheels off? Is there any dimensions/measurements I need to make note of? Is there something that I should NOT do? I bought a moto jack specifically for this reason, so I have the tools that need to be done. But I have never worked on moto's before. You give me a 65 mustang I can tear her down and put her back together, but a motorcycle is greek to me. I have the manual that I printed off of here, but the descriptions seem pretty vague. I guess if no one has anything I will just go off of that.

PS thanks for the tip on spraypainting, I really like that idea.
                If you can tear down a stang then this will be simple.

Get the weight off the wheel you want off. Take out the carter pin. Loosen the nut, pull out the axle... everything pretty much falls out/off at that point. For the front, you may need to remove the calipers first.

Put it back in the order you took it out.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

If you can tear down a stang then this will be simple.

Get the weight off the wheel you want off. Take out the carter pin. Loosen the nut, pull out the axle... everything pretty much falls out/off at that point. For the front, you may need to remove the calipers first.

Put it back in the order you took it out.

Krey
                  Is it really that easy? Maybe I am just too afraid to take it apart before I get a good ride in on her. But gotta do something while it is too cold/snowy to ride.

Comment

Is it really that easy? Maybe I am just too afraid to take it apart before I get a good ride in on her. But gotta do something while it is too cold/snowy to ride.
                    Yes, it's really that easy.

Good idea to use a little axle grease on the axles to prevent them from sticking inside for later. Make sure everything is clean, no dirt or grit of course. Put everything back in order, and your set.

Oh, I didn't mention loosening the chain adjusters for the rear, but ... It's really not that hard to figure out if you have any mechanical experiance at all.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

Thanks Krey, given me some hope...I just bought new bearings for it, I guess that I will give it a shot...and if things don't go as planned I guess I can always post up my questions here. Thanks for saving me some money. I owe you a beer!!

Comment

Its super easy. Done it quite a few times.

Also...where did you get the wheel bearings?

Comment

For the front, you may need to remove the calipers first.
                          Correct.

Is there something that I should NOT do?
                          Do not allow the caliper to hang by the brake lines themselves, use a wire coat hanger or zip-ties.

Do not operate the brakes while the caplipers are not installed.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by rhauss
                            did u ever find the wheel beearings ?

Yeah found them on ebay. $11 for front and $22 for rear, I guess that is a good deal, I am sure it is better than the stealership.

Comment

OEM bearings are about twice that online. As long as they're good bearings, I'd say its a pretty decent deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X