Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Need advice... Looking to buy a tire changer...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice... Looking to buy a tire changer...

After my last tire purchase (rather, after looking at the bill ) I and my accountant (wife) think it's time to invest in a tire changer. What would be the best model/manufacturer you guys would recommend?
    sigpic

Edited: Its late, I am tired, and lame things tend to seem funny late at night.
    Last edited by LAsunbird86; 01-11-2010, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Tractor supply, or Harbor freight sell a decent one. I know a professional shop that runs the HF changer here, and its held up well for them over like 2 years or so of daily use.

I think its like $50-100 or so for that changer, and it'll do motorcycle or car tires.

Comment

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97666&highlight=cycle+hil

The biggest drawback is that you'll need space for it... which is mostly why I don't have one.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I change my own tires. A good set of tire irons, a home-made balancing stand, rim savers and some technique is all you really need.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97666&highlight=cycle+hil

The biggest drawback is that you'll need space for it... which is mostly why I don't have one.
            Yup. Cycle Hill, best bang for the buck around.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by kruzuki View Post
              I change my own tires. A good set of tire irons, a home-made balancing stand, rim savers and some technique is all you really need.

+1000

I have the "tire changer" from harbor freight, and guess what....I don't use it. The ONLY part of it I use is the bead breaker. The rest, i do with rim savers, tire spoons, pri-bars, and on occasion, even a large screw driver makes it's way into the rotation.

I found that if the bearings in the wheel are still good and free, I can actually do a decent balance job by just holding the axle and spinning the tire on it. Yes, I know, they aren't "super low friction" bearings....but it works surprising well. I've done 10 tires like that, and no wobbles or vibration to speak of.

Get yourself a bead breaker and some tire irons, and you'll have all you need. Or, go all out and get a "real" tire changer for $1500. Otherwise, I'd save your money.

Comment

Dad and I use the cheapy harbor freight bead breaker, tire irons, and the HF balancing stand. A little labor intense with the ole tire irons, but better than paying the shop....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

HF unit is crap, and it takes at least as much invested as the Cycle Hill setup to have something that will not decimate rims. I've changed more than my fair share of tires with irons and 2x4 bead breaker, but the CH unit makes the job so much easier, especially for bigger tires. Kat sized tires are cake, but when you get into the 180/190 range like Tom is, it is significantly more work. Read my review of the CH unit in the link that Steves posted.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I honestly might be getting one of those with the hitch attachment.... probably later this summer... you can eat up $500 pretty quick in tire changes...
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

So far Cycle Hill and NoMar seem to be the preferred changer.
                      I posted up at Hayabusa.org and get the same responses.
                      sigpic

Comment

I haven't been keeping track Tom but how often are you changing tires? and what does the local shop charge?

Just doing my own tires, that set up would pay for it self in 3 or 4 years for me. On the Kat I was using a set a year give or take, no idea how the VFR will do lol.
                        Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
                          I haven't been keeping track Tom but how often are you changing tires? and what does the local shop charge?

Just doing my own tires, that set up would pay for it self in 3 or 4 years for me. On the Kat I was using a set a year give or take, no idea how the VFR will do lol.
                          From what I've seen... the VFR is very compliant with tires. In other words, they are wearing at about the same rate tires wear on my Bandit 600.

the big-bore bikes tend to eat them a lot faster

On the Sprint, with 5k on the clock... my rear tire is noticeably worn, but still has decent remaining tread.
                          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post

About 4 sets a year, 6 if I do a long-distance summer roadtrip.
                            But that's not counting the unexpected nail-in-tire occurrences that seem to happen every year.
                            Southland charges $65 to change both, but some places are higher.
                            sigpic

Comment

$65 ain't bad for a tire change Tom....

Unless they are really gettin ya on the tires...
                              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X