X

sandpaper???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sandpaper???

I was at my local stealership and there was this guy who had just purchased a set of tires for his gsxr. Before he had the service guys put the tires on, he pulled-out a sheet of very fine sandpaper and gently used it on the bottom of the tires. He said he did that to remove all the bad oils and things you hear about being on new tires that make them a little dangerous that first 50-70 miles.

Anyone else heard of anyone doing anything like this??
    Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

it doesn't work.

The only thing that will work out the excess oils and solvents from the tires is HEAT. In short terms, you have to just take it easy for awhile until they are broke in a bit. A couple good rides working some heat in them is the best for them.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I'll take Teddys word for it.

Sandpaper will get rid of those chicken strips though
      2002 GSXF 750

Comment

or if you want to get on it right away, put bike on center stand in N, spin tire by hand and get your map gas torch or propane going, lol j/k
        this is the best icon eva

Comment

That just seems crazy to me. When all you have to do is ride it on a few trips around town to break it in.

Comment

I'm sure it seemed like a good idea to that guy cause I'm sure it seemed like a good idea to the guy that told him he should do that. Didn't the service guys say anything when he started doing it?
            Q. "What do you think when you see a pretty girl walking down the street" -A. "One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her'. The other side of me says , 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?"

Comment

I don't use sandpaper. I Use Armor-all. I like my tread patterns looking their best at all times so every time I stop I wipe on a new shiny layer of armorall

Comment

Originally posted by Wheel View Post
                I don't use sandpaper. I Use Armor-all. I like my tread patterns looking their best at all times so every time I stop I wipe on a new shiny layer of armorall
                Can't have ashy lookin tires now lol

Comment

Originally posted by Wheel View Post
                  For the record... that's a joke....
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

hey Whell ..use oil instead its the same ..NOT.. the sand paper will help some to get the outer coat off but a easy break in is still recomended.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      For the record... that's a joke....
                      Lol I was wondering if the legal department's liability control people would take long to point that out for me since I elected to omit a smiley.. haha

I know, there are certainly people out there that would think "good idea!" lol

hahah

Comment

Originally posted by cybrnathan View Post
                        guy who had just purchased a set of tires for his gsxr.
                        Nuff said.
                        Originally posted by arsenic
                        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I leaked a bunch of gas onto the road to break in my tires.

Comment

I just bought a Bridgestone Batlax for the front yesterday to match the one in back which I got three weeks ago. I don't make short runs too often...I put 130 miles on it and just tried to avoid the twisties...ain't that hard to do, the nearest twisty is at least 100 miles from here in the opposite direction from work. Do you ever take your tires off and soak them in warm water (bath tub) to keep them tidy? (didn't think so)

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I should have told the guy that a can of PAM does even better
                              Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Working...
                              X