X

Compatible rear sprockets...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatible rear sprockets...

I REALLY needed to replace the rear sprocket on my 88 Kat (89+ wheels) but I was BROKE due to my girlfriend being off work for a while so I did some looking around.

It turns out the previous owner had actually put a 42 tooth sprocket on in place of the 46 that was supposed to be there. That explained why the bike had felt a little anemic. I knew that I at least wanted stock gearing if not a bit more so I looked at a few sites to cross reference other bikes that use the same sprocket. The best reference I found was here.

Using this, I found that the Marauder sprocket would swap in place and it came STOCK with 48 teeth and used a 530 chain. BINGO! I looked on ebay and found a guy parting one out. $19.00 SHIPPED to my door. The bike only had about 6000 miles on it. SCORE!

I was also able to get a NIB 14 tooth front sprocket for an older GSX-R on ebay for $11. Good enough!

Anyway, I just thought that this might help out a few people looking around for alternatives.

Feel free to input!

You get what you pay for often enough with cheap stuff like this. Buyer beware.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

used sprocket + used chain + new sprocket= bad idea

that front sprocket is going to be trash in no time. your chain is most likely stretched if your rear sprocket was that bad. chain and sprockets should ALWAYS be swapped out at the same time so they all wear in together.

I know you said money was tight, but in all reality, if you want it to last, save a little longer and do it right. Just my honest opinion....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Shrug...it's a stock factory front sprocket, so quality isn't a problem. The rear showed up and was exactly as advertised... a good condition stock sprocket. I agree that buying used parts can be a gamble though if that's what you were referring to.

Forgot to mention that I DID replace the chain as well. Non-O-ring chain but I intend to replace it come spring. I understand what you mean about used vs new parts wearing but when I post pics of the sprocket left by the previous owner you'll see why I needed to get SOMETHING.
        Last edited by reeseleblanc; 11-03-2009, 01:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
        X