X

Tire and chain questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire and chain questions

I did a search but I didn't see my exact questions in the first ten posts...

Ok so I will be picking up my project bike in a few days...

It has an almost new front Battleax BT45 but the back needs to be replaced. I know the BT45 is a bias ply and i'm not too thrilled about that. I have hated bias ply tires on all my previous bikes. How do these BT45's perform if I buy one for the back?

Also, It needs a new chain and sprockets... It has been at least five years since I have had to fool with chains and sprockets on a dirt bike at that...

What is the difference in x-ring, o-ring, and standard 530 chains??? I need 118 links correct? What should I use?

And what size sprockets are recommended?
    Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

What size is the bike? That depends on the number of teeth on the sprockets. What type of riding do you do? O-ring chain is the standard on all bikes from the factory for the most part. X-ring chain is a upgraded chain and last longer normally. There is a thread call all about chains I posted up which should help you out on this.
    Not sure on the tires as I do not run those. How bad off is the front? Is it dry rotting? I suggest if you can is to replace both front and rear that why you know they are both good and have no worries.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I had the BT45s, they were awful. They instill 0 confidence in the rider. Get some better tires, at least radials and you'll be much happier.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

It's a 91 600 (sorry). The bike needs a good deal of work before I can ride it anywhere so it will be sitting for a few months.

The front BT45 is almost new with a lot of tread left.
        Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

Comment

you could get a set of Shinko radials (005's, for example) for damn near the price of one battlaxe....I had around $160 or so wrapped up in my set....and have a much much better tire than that bias ply garbage....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
            you could get a set of Shinko radials (005's, for example) for damn near the price of one battlaxe....I had around $160 or so wrapped up in my set....and have a much much better tire than that bias ply garbage....
            Sweet! I will look into those. Thanks.

Josh

Comment

If the tire has a recent date code, I would dump it on ebay. Somebody out there wants one, although there is no telling why.

Standard, O-ring, X-ring = acceptable, good, better.
              The letter refers to the profile of the ring. All the rings hold grease in and dirt out, making it so the chain will last significantly longer. According to the manufacturers, the X ring seals better because it has two contact points and is more likely to keep dirt out, where as the O ring could allow some dirt to work its way in.
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
              X