Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

If Gearing low gives better low end, will gearing up better my top end cruisability??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuzukiSteve View Post
    yeah that sounds understandable.. these things aren't 1000's and even being 600's, they are still at the lower end of the HP range. That being the case your not working with much at all to be changing gearing too significantly. how many teeth did you go down to that ended up being too much for you stickman?? also.. You went with a smaller sprocket and required a longer chain?
    Sorry I buggered that up. I had to take 2 links out, went down from 118 links to 116, but I didn't do it immediately from memory. I think I had about 7000k's on the chain and sprockets before I ran out of adjustment and took the links out. I went from a 47 standard to a 45 and left the front as 15.

As for the fuel economy at lower revs etc. I can only go on what the mechanic told me. As I said on my bike I find it quite sweet at about the 7grand mark and on a recent trip I was sitting on just over 7 grand at an indicated 140km/h (about 130km/h actual) with my wife on the back and a bag full of luggage and got 320k's on 17.5 litres. Yet when I stick to the speed limits of 100km/h at about 5500rpm I usually get 300k's from a bit over 18 litres. I also find that at the 7 grand mark I barely have to touch the throttle at all to maintain that speed. Only problem is there isn't many places you can sit on 140km/h for a couple of hours without seeing a few cops. It could very well be wrong though but I quite like how the bike feels at that speed.
    Do not walk behind me for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just f*#@ off and leave me alone.

Comment

Not sure if you have seen this yet but heres a real good site to play with different ratios with out spending a ton of money. http://www.gearingcommander.com/
      Joker
      The newest addition to the Family!
      sigpic
      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Working...
      X