X

91 750 Katana 50t sprocket?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 750 Katana 50t sprocket?

Hey guys, I am pretty new to the site and new to owning a katana. I know the katana by far isnt the best bike for stunting but I was looking to get a larger rear sprocket so it will come up easier. I mean, I only spend $300 on the bike so it will be a good learner bike. I was wondering if you could point me out to a site where I can buy a 50t sprocket for my kat. Hopefully not an aluminum one so it will last. Also, would getting the sprocket require me to get a larger chain or will the stock one work?

And if anyone on here stunts a katana, any tips on little mods or upgrades that can be done to make the bike better for stunts.

Alex

Originally posted by kas14slider View Post
    Hey guys, I am pretty new to the site and new to owning a katana. I know the katana by far isnt the best bike for stunting but I was looking to get a larger rear sprocket so it will come up easier. I mean, I only spend $300 on the bike so it will be a good learner bike. I was wondering if you could point me out to a site where I can buy a 50t sprocket for my kat. Hopefully not an aluminum one so it will last. Also, would getting the sprocket require me to get a larger chain or will the stock one work?

And if anyone on here stunts a katana, any tips on little mods or upgrades that can be done to make the bike better for stunts.

Alex
    Vortex offeres any # of tooth sprockets up to like 70 for the Kat. They are aluminum though, but mine is lasting just fine. If your looking to make wheelies easy, you will need a few more than 50 teeth btw.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Vortex offeres any # of tooth sprockets up to like 70 for the Kat. They are aluminum though, but mine is lasting just fine. If your looking to make wheelies easy, you will need a few more than 50 teeth btw.

Krey

Thanks man. I just looked around for vortex sprockets but could only find 50t max. And I heard of many people wheelieng the kats on stock sprockets so I figured like +3 would make it easier but wouldn't make the bike totally useless in 1st and on the highway.

Comment

Thanks man. I just looked around for vortex sprockets but could only find 50t max. And I heard of many people wheelieng the kats on stock sprockets so I figured like +3 would make it easier but wouldn't make the bike totally useless in 1st and on the highway.
        Hrm... let me look again....

The vortex official website has up to 56 tooth sprockets in the stock 530 range, or you can do a swap to the 520 conversion.

The freestyle sprockets (stunter sprockets) go up to 66.

If they do not have a specific setup in stock, contact them... they can custom 1 off one for you pretty easily.

Now, that aside.... The Kat is heavy enough that you won't have both... easy roll on wheelies and decent highway speeds at lower rpms. I run a 15/50 setup on my bike and for me, it's about as high a ratio I would go to keep it balanced between top end and low end torque. It can be wheelied.... it's still not what I would call "easy" *****compared***** to most other stunt/SS bikes out there.

**** For others out there, Please don't regale me with stories of how easy it is to do a wheelie on a Kat... blah, blah, blah... I KNOW they can be done, been there... but when comparing them, no... it's a higher challenge than on a SS bike. ******

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I mean, I only spend $300 on the bike so it will be a good learner bike. Alex
          Alex, are you learning to ride, or learning to stunt?

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
            Alex, are you learning to ride, or learning to stunt?
            +1

Important info...
            Nuff said.

Comment

I rode before, but not much. This my first bike that I own. I have been riding on it for the summer and I feel comfortable with it to maybe start messing around with it. I mean, cruising and going fast is fun, but I want to at least start attempting wheelies, and not like mile long standups, just little stuff. I'm not going to go all out and have this be my crazy stunt bike. I just want to mess around on it.

Kreylyn, thanks for the info. I just found the vortex website the other day. On their list of models for suzuki they have the 750f 520 conversion, no regular 750 but I assume that the sprocket for a 600f will work because its 530 pitch?
              Last edited by kas14slider; 10-01-2009, 03:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Depending on how much abuse you intend to exert on the Kat's forks, you might want to look into stocking up on some fork seals, as they will only take a few slams before blowing out.
                2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Kreylyn, thanks for the info. I just found the vortex website the other day. On their list of models for suzuki they have the 750f 520 conversion, no regular 750 but I assume that the sprocket for a 600f will work because its 530 pitch?
                  Yeah, same sprockets, just the OEM tooth count was a little different between the CCs. If you get the tooth counts you want for the "600" in 530 pitch, they will bolt right up no problem.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                  X