X

chain and sprocket question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain and sprocket question

i have to buy a new chain and it has a 530 on it now,the sprockets look in good shape and a friend said i don't need a 530 because it's a 600, he said a 520 would be perfect....any thoughts anyone. should i buy a kit or just the chain, and 530 or 520 ? thanks
    "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Originally posted by voodoobilly View Post
    i have to buy a new chain and it has a 530 on it now,the sprockets look in good shape and a friend said i don't need a 530 because it's a 600, he said a 520 would be perfect....any thoughts anyone. should i buy a kit or just the chain, and 530 or 520 ? thanks
    Entirely up to you... nothing gained either way.

Some want to say the 520 will wear the sprokets faster, yet those same people suggest replacing the sprockets everytime you change the chain anyways (so it's a moot point).

Others want to suggest going with a 520 will increase performance due to unsprung weight... but that isn't going to make that much of a difference on a Kat...

So really.... what it boils down to is... what is better priced, and has the options you want?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

awesome thanks!
      "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

If you have a 530 set-up on it now, you will have to buy a 530 chain if replacing only the chain. A 520 chain will not fit on 530 sprockets.
        1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Always replace chain and sprockets as a set. They wear into each other. Replacing only one or the other will greatly reduce the life of the new part.

520 or 530, well, 520 setup does wear faster, but unless you are putting huge miles on, (or grossly neglecting cleaning and lubing of the chain,) it probably won't make much of a difference in the end. 520 is a little lighter, so you do gain a little acceleration, but in the end, it is still a Kat and not really known for it's excessive acceleration to begin with.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

As long as you replace chain and sprockets together (which you should) it doesn't really matter. The 520 is cheaper, won't last quite as long (especially on a heavy bike like the kat), and is slightly lighter. You're really not going to notice a difference. I went with 530 because I figured the Suzuki engineers probably knew what they were doing and I'd rather have a measurably longer chain life than an imperceptible performance increase.
            sigpic
            »Ross Wendell
            »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

The argument for the 520 chain and sprockets is mainly that it's much more popular, and hence a tiny bit cheaper. More availability, I went with 530 when I replaced mine to keep it stock.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                Always replace chain and sprockets as a set. They wear into each other. Replacing only one or the other will greatly reduce the life of the new part.

520 or 530, well, 520 setup does wear faster, but unless you are putting huge miles on, (or grossly neglecting cleaning and lubing of the chain,) it probably won't make much of a difference in the end. 520 is a little lighter, so you do gain a little acceleration, but in the end, it is still a Kat and not really known for it's excessive acceleration to begin with.
                +1

Comment

520 is lighter in weight no real reason to go with a 520 set up unless you are racing. SO IMHO no need to go to a 520 set up on a 450lb bike. Stay with the 530 set up and you will be just fine. Last time I checked I did not see a conversion for the Kat to a 520 but I could be wrong. I know in my books I have it does not list a 520 conversion part number but most of the Suzuki use the same front and rear sprockets anyway.
                  www.mopowersports.com

Comment

ok on this same note, whats the stock sprocket teeth for rear on a kat? i know front is 14 (right?)

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat60009 View Post
                      ok on this same note, whats the stock sprocket teeth for rear on a kat? i know front is 14 (right?)
                      Depends on if the bike is a pre98 600 or 750 or a post 98 600/750.
                      Pre 98 600 89-97 used a 14 tooth front and a 45 on the rear. On the pre98 750 it used a 15 tooth front and 47 tooth rear.

On the 98+ bikes they used a 15/47 on the 600 and a 15/45 on the 750.
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I am changing my chain and sprockets soon. Well, this week. My chain has signs of rust.

I will change both as some suggest. 530 15/47 specs... right?

Is there a good brand you recommend?
                        KATitoy

Comment

I am about to change my sprockets and chain. I have a GSX 600F 1998. According to my research, it uses 15/47 sprocket, 118...530. Brand I found was Vortex (for sprockets). I have not found any brand yet for the chain.

Anyone says otherwise? Advice?

Thanks.
                          KATitoy

Comment

I just brought some for my 2000. I got sunstar sprockets(front/back) and bikemaster chain.
                            sigpic
                            Navy Vet
                            1998 B12
                            00 GSX 600F(sold)

Comment

I bought 160 link chrome EK Chain and RMA steel sprocket set (14/47)...but I do say Vortex is one of the better manufacturers!

Comment

Working...
                              X