X

sprocket change, went to +3 in the rear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sprocket change, went to +3 in the rear

I ended up going 3 up in the rear after reading threads about it on the forum. I bought everything from HS2020 on the forum to try and keep the biz local to the Kat community. I have an '02 Kat 750 which is 15/45 stock so I ended buying a 15 front, 48 rear (alum with Titan tough coating added) and a 120 chain. I am going to buy a speedohealer because I'm anal that way (reads 70 at 60 and 42 at 35) but overall for my 17 mile commute and splitting traffic during that commute, I am pretty happy with the change. I can imagine if I take this thing on a long ride, the whine doing 80 is going to be annoying, but for the day to day to work I like it. 1st 3 gears seem shorter now and it's real easy to stay around 5-6k but I feel like it should be around there anyway. I'm not a person who's going to go blast out whatever the top speed on this thing is, so I didn't feel as if I was missing anything there. There is one part of my ride with a 55mph speed limit and of course nobody goes 55, so I've felt what freeway speeds would be like. Someone described the difference as losing a gear and I can confirm that also. I tried upshifting when it was screaming to find out I was already in 6th.
    I only have like 100 miles on the new setup, but I really like it so far. I'll need to a couple long freeway trips to see if I still like it for that, but the day to day is enjoyable.

2001 Honda CBR1100XX - Super "Redbird"

+3 is a big change, too much for me, but if you like it that's what counts

Comment

what didn't you like about it?

2001 Honda CBR1100XX - Super "Redbird"

Comment

I've loved mine so far... but I have no straight roads and spend very little time on any freeways.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I ran 14/45 on my last one (roughly the same), and I loved it. It made a big difference in acceleration, and I didn't notice it being much buzzier on the highway.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Yup, 14/50 is kind of a pain on the highway.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I ran 14/47 on my 600 for a while (-1 in the front), and it was alright. I have since then moved to 15/48 which offers less of a change (very little to speak of actually) but the bike seems to run smoother for it (less vibration).

Better to go up in the back than down in the front though -- Less strain on the chain.
              /ˈpjuːdʒɪt/ sounder
              The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
              ...and miles to go before I sleep.
              - The Cyberpoet (RIP 9/20/09)

Comment

Working...
              X