Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Got A Good Front, What Recommendations for Rear?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got A Good Front, What Recommendations for Rear?

I just bought a 98 600 a couple weeks ago and the front tire had already been replaced with the stock size Michelin Pilot road last year, so it is still good and I don't want to have to replace it as well.

The rear is a 160/60 Michelin Pilot ?Sport? It still has plenty of wear left, but is dry rot in between the treads, no sidewall damage or cracks and keeps air. Would a Pilot Road 2 be comparable/compatible with the front if I get that, or could you recommend a tire that would work well with the front?

Thanks in advance guys.

I notice online that the pilot road and the pilot road 2 look slightly different, is that going to be a problem also? Or maybe another brand tire that would have comparable tread to work with the pilot road up front?

Comment

I understand the concern for being fiscally smart about purchases, and in general not having enough funds to just throw cash away. I'm keeping that aspect in mind when I offer you the following advice.

Replace both, with a matching set (or at the very least, choose the new rear to match the "newish" front if you absolutely can not afford both tires).

Tires are one of the most important aspects of your bike in how it handles, grips, and over all keeping you rubber down and you up. Mixing tires between brands or styles causes handling issues. If your new to this bike, or more importantly... new to riding at all... Definately make sure your tires match.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

alright that's kinda the census I was getting searching online. But would the pilot road 2s be so much different than the original pilot roads that I should replace both, or should I be ok with the pilot road 2 on the back?

oh yeah, there is only like 300 miles on the front tire
        Last edited by kpack5982; 07-30-2009, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Take the front off, sell it on Ebay to recover costs of a full matching set of good tires.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by kpack5982 View Post
            alright that's kinda the census I was getting searching online. But would the pilot road 2s be so much different than the original pilot roads that I should replace both, or should I be ok with the pilot road 2 on the back?

oh yeah, there is only like 300 miles on the front tire
            If you have a tire no longer being manufactured, it's not how long it's been on the bike that is of concern... but how old the tire is overall.

Check this link for some good info.

Pay close attention to the Tire Age section...

And excerpt
            Actually, your tire has the date of manufacture, or the "born on" date. How nice! If you look closely you will find a four-digit number stamped into the sidewall of your tire. It will read something like 4408 or 2101. What do these numbers mean? Well, a 4408 means the tire was manufactured during the 44th week of 2008. 2101 means the tire was manufactured the 21st week of 2001. Years prior to 2000 have a one-digit number to reflect the year, and after 2000, a two-digit number is used. This is a simple and easy way to figure out the age of a tire.
            May have lots of tread, but still be old and hardened...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks for the info guys, i'll check into a bunch of things once I get home to the bike. I'll search through the other forums for some good tire suggestions. thanks again.

Comment

Nice article Krey...

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

I have a similar issue. PO replaced rear with contiforce and front was Dunlop qualifier or sport max. Sides of front are worn. I was going to go with a Shinko for the front then I started reading about "matching" tires. What gets me is that the matching front Conti Force Sport doesn't really match the rear just going off of looks.
                  FROM WORK:
                  "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

There are still 160 Pilot Roads for sale new on Ebay. Dunno about the date of manufacture, though. If you're looking to just match the front, just search for "160 pilot road" on ebay, and you shall find them.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by redciv1 View Post
                      I have a similar issue. PO replaced rear with contiforce and front was Dunlop qualifier or sport max. Sides of front are worn. I was going to go with a Shinko for the front then I started reading about "matching" tires. What gets me is that the matching front Conti Force Sport doesn't really match the rear just going off of looks.
                      It's less about looks, and more about design.
                      • The compound will match better so front and back will match up in traction, heat up and cool at near the same rate, and last longer overall.
                      • Different tires have different variable hardness rubber(s) used in manufacture.
                      • You know they were designed to work well together.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                      X