X

trying to fit 180 tire on rear bolt on style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
    stock pre98 kat 750's came with 150 in the rear.
    Yes, and this is the conundrum... the right size tire is a 140/80 for the 3.5 rim. Generally it's okay to go up one size if you drop one aspect size.. so 150/70 will fit.

The Pre 750's already had this done at the factory, and is the reason going larger isn't a good idea.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Yes, and this is the conundrum... the right size tire is a 140/80 for the 3.5 rim. Generally it's okay to go up one size if you drop one aspect size.. so 150/70 will fit.

The Pre 750's already had this done at the factory, and is the reason going larger isn't a good idea.

Krey
      ok, i just wanted to clear it up as some users will come here and see you can go +1 and that all pre kats came with 140's so just a bit of clearification.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

So how big of a tire can I put on my 98+ Kat?

-2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
          So how big of a tire can I put on my 98+ Kat?

93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks for the posts, i was looking at getting a 160 rear tire but i only have a 3.5" rim so from what im seeing its a no go =/ bummer. ive been searching ebay for tires but 150 has a far less selection than 160.

Going on to tires, what do u guys recommend for a newby like myself?? got about 500 miles riding motorcycles all together under my belt. Im wanting a soft sticky tire, as my worst fear is the tire slipping and me falling into oncoming traffic. i dont think ill be riding in the rain much at all and i have a DD car, this bike for now at least is just for the sunny days.

Looking a michelins and pirellis right now, trying to stay under or around $300 for the set of tires, not including mount and balance. their are so many choices and im new to tires and i see each tire has a different angle on the curve and this and that. I dont know how that affects the handling of the bike, i want a tire thats very predictable and easy to ride.

Comment

I'd still recommend a metzeler z6. a shop i go to can get them for about $255 a set (not mounting or balancing). Be careful buying the tires and taking them somewhere, majority of locations around here won't do it.

Of course a ss tire will be soft and sticky, but depending on your location you will never get them up to temp.

I'd stick with a good sport touring tire.....such as the z6.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Another good choice that I've been running for a while is the Continental Conti-Force. Once I get home from the desert it will be time for some new rubber on the bike and I will be going with another set of Continentals. They just haven't done me wrong yet. Search around on here and you can read a lot of good reviews on them and they are pretty easy on the wallet as well.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

i have a pilot power up front and just ordered a pilot road 2ct for the rear.
                  May the road rise up to meet you.
                  May the wind always be at your back.
                  May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                  and rains fall soft upon your fields.
                  And until we meet again,
                  May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
                  RIP Marc

Comment

160 is too large for the rim as well.

Krey

Again, Shinko 006: the 160/60 rear 120/70 front on mine.

Took the bike hard into twisties the other day (60+mph) and drug the pegs. The 140 doesn't have enough width to get the bike that far down and hold it there. The 150 might, but the 160 is the widest (in my opinion) that will fit and still ride right. No breaking, sliding, jumping, etc in the twisties. Pulled hard in (@60) and harder out (@80). Just a flat 70deg (or so) right about 120ft long.

Thats my personal review on the 160/60 rear for the pre kat.

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion, and you should listen to all of them before making a decision. Thats the idea behind a forum anyway.... Advise.
                    But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Mat 10:33

Comment

Originally posted by smokintalon View Post
                      Again, Shinko 006: the 160/60 rear 120/70 front on mine.

Took the bike hard into twisties the other day (60+mph) and drug the pegs.
                      Would love to see some pics of your rear tire... from behind, the side, and a good profile shot.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Mat 10:33

Comment

Nice, thanks for the pics....

It doesn't concern you that even scraping the pegs, your bike still has 1" wide "chicken strips" on the sides? That doesn't lead you to think your not getting use of the full tire?

Those look to be working out the same as the Dunlops did for a 160 size. Here is a shot of when I ran a 160 tire on the back and also... getting over enough to scrap the pegs... could not wear the last 1" of the rire. At that angle, the bike literaly would have to be on it's side (plastics) and then... tire isn't doing much for ya.

I agree... you can mount a 160 on there. It won't fall off, or buck you off, or hop/skip/jump around like something is seriously wrong.

It is a smaller contact patch than using the right size due to the curvature of the tire. It does handle less than the right size. The evidence is right there for you to see yourself.... going by "feel" is subjective on many ways.

Sure, new tires always feel better than the old you just had on there, even of the same brand.

If your happy with them, go for it. I just can't agree that a 160 has any benifits at all on the back side of a pre, and on the contrary has alot of detriments as opposed to running the right sized tires.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

bolt on no
                            with mods yes

Comment

Nice, thanks for the pics....

It doesn't concern you that even scraping the pegs, your bike still has 1" wide "chicken strips" on the sides? That doesn't lead you to think your not getting use of the full tire?

... getting over enough to scrap the pegs... could not wear the last 1" of the rire. At that angle, the bike literaly would have to be on it's side (plastics) and then... tire isn't doing much for ya.

Krey
                              Guess its time to fab some new peg brackets and move those babies up! If I still have room to go on the rear, I need to use it! But I promise I did take it to the edge on the rear the other day. Thought I was gone, but she stuck through my relentless beating and hammering the throttle. I drug the pegs, but I did eat off the little rubber thingies on the edge of the rear tire. It'll go, the kat is just doesn't want to go hard in the corners. I had to push it with everything I had (mainly b/c there was an oncoming car!).

But I guess I have to agree at some point in this. The factory size is best for anything. You wouldn't buy magnum xl's for a 2 incher, right? Just wasn't made for it.

Comment

I have an 06 600, which I've put a 160/60 onto the rear. I've noticed that the strips left on the sides are about an inch, whereas the old 150 touring profile tire I'd gotten down to less than .5". I wonder if I'll eventually scrape the pegs before I get to the edge of the tire.

But speaking of tires, I see people saying that putting a 160/60 even on the 4.5" post wheel 'deforms' the tire and decreases the contact patch. However, some tires naturally have a taller profile intentionally. The claim then is that when the bike is leaned over, the contact patch becomes larger, which seems to make sense. So I have to wonder, which is true? Putting a 160 tire on the rear might very well decrease the contact patch while going straight, but wouldn't that increase the contact patch for when leaned over?

Given the power of the 600, I'd opt for the larger patch while leaned over, cause I'm not very likely to accidentally do a burnout or spin the rear.

Again though, I'm honestly asking. I still have less than a year experience.
                                Last edited by ygolohcysp; 08-18-2009, 12:39 AM. Reason: Misspelling. I used to be good at English.

Comment

Working...
                                X