X

Rotational Arrows Confusion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotational Arrows Confusion

Mounted up new Conti Sport Attacks on my pre 750 and am a little confused by the rotational arrows. With the tires rotating as indicated by the arrows on the tire, the front and rear tread design are running in opposite directions. Is this normal? These tires have a wild tread design but I would think the tread design was designed to work best in one direction.

Originally posted by jemmd View Post
    Mounted up new Conti Sport Attacks on my pre 750 and am a little confused by the rotational arrows. With the tires rotating as indicated by the arrows on the tire, the front and rear tread design are running in opposite directions. Is this normal? These tires have a wild tread design but I would think the tread design was designed to work best in one direction.
    The treads are different that way on some brands between front and rear. As long as the directional arrow on the sidewall is pointing in the direction the tire rotates when moving forward, your good to go.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

There supposed to be like that. The rear pattern is setup for optimum traction while accelerating.

The front pattern is the opposite, it is setup for maximum traction while braking.

It is perfectly normal
      2007 Honda CBR600rr
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
      sigpic

Comment

I was wondering the same thing with my new Continental ContiGO! tires that I put on my 82. The way the tread is configured on the front tire with the rotational arrow pointing correctly would seem to channel water into the center of the tire as opposed to the rear tire where the water would be channeled outward. Seems slightly dangerous to me to direct water inwards at the front inviting aquaplaning in wet weather. Luckily my RF does wet-weather duty while the old Kat stays dry inside the garage.
        1980 GS1100E, 2002 748S, 2010 ZX14, 2013 Bonneville T-100

Dave

Comment

Do not fret. Those that have the conti's say the wet weather grip is just has good as the dry. Zukifred said his conti's do very well in the wet weather.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

follow the arrows ...they wont let ya down.
            Joker
            The newest addition to the Family!
            sigpic
            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Road attacks are the best tire in the rain That I ever Rode On . I had BT21 before the Front cupped early in life . They rode Ok!

Comment

Conti's are awesome in the rain
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
                  Conti's are awesome in the rain
                  +1
                  I did 70 in a 40mph turn in the rain when I first put them on ..... (I worked up to it...) And they hold a line very well when braking in the wet as well.
                  Last edited by SGTJimbo_Kat600; 07-06-2009, 01:49 AM.
                  Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Another reason the tread design on front is reversed is to help reduce the wobble you feel when riding on grooved pavement. Mount as the arrow shows and as others have stated all will be well.

If you mount with the arrow in the wrong direction this has been known to not allow speedometers to work correctly on some models of bikes.
                    If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 40something View Post
                      If you mount with the arrow in the wrong direction this has been known to not allow speedometers to work correctly on some models of bikes.
                      Wait, what?
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by 40something View Post

I don't know about that one.....

anyways, as others have mentioned, no worries about the Conti's in the rain. They're an awesome tire. I had them on my CBR1100XX Blackbird, and the rear lasted over 8,000 of commuting duty before the center wore out. I wasn't necessarily easy on them either.

That's alot of life for a bike that big. Grip was never an issue either. My peg feelers disappeared pretty quickly.

Comment

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by 40something

We were troubleshooting an issue on bike a few years ago. It had the speed sensor in the front wheel. When the tire was mounted to the wheel he put the wheel back on the bike with the arrow rotating the wrong direction. Speed-O did funny things. We finally took the wheel off and turned it around where the arrow was going proper direction and speed-O issue disappeared.

Seemed strange at the time, but have heard others talk about it since then. This was not on a Katana though.
                          If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X