No announcement yet.
X

New sprockets & WTF

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an 01 600 and also have a k&n filter and jet kit. I went -1 tooth on the front sprocket and 130 is no problemo. I'm not a little dude either. Don't get up to those speeds much, but it is fun sometimes.....
    Warning!! Will ride at anytime for no reason.

Comment

Don't forget bro, once you change your gearing you need to adjust ur spedometer or that will be way off, mine is just with going -1 on the front. off by about 5 or so now.

Anyone got a good spot online to p/u a chain and sprocket set? need new ones

Comment

Originally posted by sharpie6 View Post
        Keep in mind that I have a speedohealer that was calibrated for both set-ups.
        Thanks for the reminder though.

Just ordered the air filter from CP, should be here saturday. Can't wait to see the difference!
        Last edited by sharpie6; 07-08-2009, 07:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Let's go riding!

Comment

Thats nuts that I missed that, my b. but good call I really would like to have one, but the radar detector is my spedometer

Comment

That's the whole reason i broke down and bought the speedohealer. I have a write up on it if you are hesitant about the install. It's really easy. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...t=speedohealer
            Let's go riding!

Comment

The only thing changed on my bike was the k&n filter and cobra dual pipes. All gears, jets, sprockets, etc are stock and I red line at 138.
              '91 600.

Lots of people have told me the 600 kats won't pass 125, 130 if I'm lucky.

Putting 16/44 sprockets on tomorrow. Will post to let everyone know what kind of response I get. Aiming for more torque in mid-high
              But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Mat 10:33

Comment

SmokinTalon - Be prepared to have to cut some of your sprocket cover to clear that 16 tooth sprocket. If I remember right, a 15 is the biggest that will fit without shaving some of the inside of the cover off for clearance. Your 16/44 would be the same as a 15/47.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Got the 16/43 on yesterday. Lots of torque in 3rd and 4th. Runs 40mph in first. That should tell you that if you're looking to cruise on the highways a lot, this is a good setup. If you want to cruise and play (like me) this is not a good setup at all. The mileage was around 53-55mpg with the 16/43. Turned 3700 rpms at 60mph in 6th. Great for cruising.

I didn't have to shave anything from anywhere for this setup. The 16 just barely clears the cover and barely clears the clutch rod (by about a 16th of an inch)

I put the 46 back on the rear today and like a dream. Turns 4300 in 6th at 60mph. Good cruising in 6th, but still lots of power elsewhere. I'll post about the mileage after a few days of riding.

If anyone is curious about the sprocket setups, go to: gearingcommander.com
                  They have just about every bike pre-programmed in for factory specs. It doesn't give you hp and torque at the wheel, but does give you mph. Keep in mind that the 600 and 750 don't have the torque to turn high ratios. (found that out myself). Too small of a front sprocket will destroy any hope in chain life. Too large of a rear will have you popping wheelies at highway speeds and destroy top end.
                  Last edited by smokintalon; 08-14-2009, 04:23 PM.
                  But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Mat 10:33

Comment

Hey Sharpie, you gettin rid of your 48t rear sprocket still? Let me know.
                    SAV

Head up, eyes open... always!!!
                    Be... and be not afraid.

Comment

getting around 40mpg with the 16/46 setup and plenty of torque across the board.

Although, I did have a little issue non related a couple days ago... lost all power on #1 cyl.

Looking for a 750 oil cooled and carbed to transplant
                      Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Comment

Working...
                      X