X

So i have the wrong rim

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So i have the wrong rim

I came here looking to find the right rim and after reading a few post here. I see this is a common problem. I have an 01 katana that i bought with a bent rim. Okay no big deal, just get another rim and tire. So I buy one off ebay, its an 03 rim. I had no idea the bearing was bigger till last night. So currently I have a chrome 03 rim and tire that I cant use and I still need an 01 chrome wheel.

Oh and a buddy told me that he had heard that sv wheels will fit? Is that true? I just got to find a wheel!
    Last edited by Stinger02; 02-06-2009, 05:39 PM.

Did the rim you bought off fleabay come from a GSX R? Post the link to the auction.
    Last edited by Kfreak; 02-06-2009, 06:02 PM.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem=

no it was off a 750 gsx

here is my bent rim on the left and the new rim on the right

Comment

A little research later and the parts listings are showing two different listings of wheel for 2003, 02, 01. Are you showing the same sides of each wheel in the pic? There is a certain way the wheel gets mounted. ex: right side, left side. The pic on fleabay looks like your wheel. (hubs are the same) What doesn't fit???
        Last edited by Kfreak; 02-06-2009, 06:38 PM.

Comment

The 03+ wheels are different as the spacer for the speedo cable is removed.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ouch dude, you found out the hard way. 98-02 wheels will not interchange with 03-06 wheels. The 03-06 wheel has bigger bearings, a wider hub, and flat rotors as opposed to the 98-02 setup with dished rotors and smaller hubsize/bearings.. I think sv wheel will fit 03-06 kats, not the 98-02's, but i may stand corrected by someone who has doen the swap themselves.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Very deceiving. But if you look at the pic's from flea bay, the wheels look identical. You can barely make out the hub on the other side of the rim. Also the parts fiche I was searching shows 98 to 03 750 F's use the same wheel. http://www.twojacks.com/

OUCH is right. I just looked at the amount. Re-list it .
              Last edited by Kfreak; 02-06-2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

At that price, you could probably get any rim that will work chromed. There is an ebay seller that commonly offers pairs of chromed sets for $500, with your wheels turned in as cores.

I would put the 03 back up on ebay for sure though.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                  Ouch dude, you found out the hard way. 98-02 wheels will not interchange with 03-06 wheels. The 03-06 wheel has bigger bearings, a wider hub, and flat rotors as opposed to the 98-02 setup with dished rotors and smaller hubsize/bearings.. I think sv wheel will fit 03-06 kats, not the 98-02's, but i may stand corrected by someone who has doen the swap themselves.
                  03 is the magic number. Pre 03 wheels are the same between the SV650 and the Kat. 03+ will take an 03-06 SV650 front wheel.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                    03 is the magic number. Pre 03 wheels are the same between the SV650 and the Kat. 03+ will take an 03-06 SV650 front wheel.

same setup between both bikes then, good to know!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      The 03+ wheels are different as the spacer for the speedo cable is removed.
                      If you mean a spedo cable for the 98-02, then it does not use a cable. They (mine) are electronic speedometer using a VSS, vehicle speed sensor.

Pre's use cables, post do not.

Unless you meant something else.
                      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                        If you mean a spedo cable for the 98-02, then it does not use a cable. They (mine) are electronic speedometer using a VSS, vehicle speed sensor.

Pre's use cables, post do not.

Unless you meant something else.
                        Up to 97 Kats used the speedo cable, then the 98+ changed to the electronic version, but they did not change the front wheels until 03. So, even though the 98-02 kats were electronic, those wheels could be outfited with the cable. This is one of the reasons 03+ wheels on the front side are so different and cause the specific fitment issue this thread is about.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

so a wheel off a pre '03 sv will fit a pre 600 kat aswell. so this widens my search for a front wheel to swap on my '88 600 correct ?
                          cheers brenton
                          1988 "redheaded step child" 600

Comment

mostly... Look for a 3.00" x 17" rim, with curved spokes.

Probably your best match price wise on ebay atm is for just the wheel...

This one comes with rotors, but is a little more atm...

After these 2, your looking currently at $75+ buy now options or higher starting bids.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

Thanks for all the good info about the wheels guys. I was going to post up the wheel here first but I'm still trying to hit 50 post. Now will that tire fit on a 98-02 rim or do I need a tire as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X