X

tire size for 96 kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire size for 96 kat

Does any one know how wide of a rear tire you can put on a 96 kat without changing the swing arm? Also any other mod info for that year kat would be helpful. I'm looking forward to doing some work on it when i get back from Iraq. Thanks for any help you guys can give.
    "Life is hard partner, but it's harder when your stupid"

Well it came with a 150, I believe you could get a 180 on there but I have a 170 on the back of mine and it doesn't turn for doo doo. Personally I would go with a 160 if you wanna go up a bit
    I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!
    --It's a thong, just relax and accept the string.

Comment

I think on the pre's you should only go as wide as a 150, might be able to fit a 160, depending on the tire manufacturer's specs. 140 I believe is stock on the pre's.

Ooooohhhhhh Chriiiiiiiisssss.......... *like a mother calling in son for dinner* lol!

Oh yeah, you can put a post 98 rear wheel on, then the 160 will fit nice. There are a bunch of how to's and stuff on this kind of mod...search and ye shall find.
      Last edited by CenCalKat; 01-05-2009, 09:25 PM.
      2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
      BMC Notorious 918 HT
      2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

I'm just going to post this up right now; let's not flame anyone that is in Iraq fighting for their country. Honestly, lay off this one fellas. BMX, just do a little searching here and you will find a ton of threads on tire sizes. Get back safe and sound and welcome to the site.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jdm5770 View Post
          I'm just going to post this up right now; let's not flame anyone that is in Iraq fighting for their country. Honestly, lay off this one fellas. BMX, just do a little searching here and you will find a ton of threads on tire sizes. Get back safe and sound and welcome to the site.
          I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!

Comment

Welcome to KR and get home safe.
            sigpic
            1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo1987 View Post
              Well it came with a 150, I believe you could get a 180 on there but I have a 170 on the back of mine and it doesn't turn for doo doo. Personally I would go with a 160 if you wanna go up a bit
              If your going to give advise, try to give correct advise!

Stock size is 110/80/17 & 140/80/17. A good safe upgrade is 120/70/17 & 150/70/17.

With the size/hight and power of the kat, it's all the tire you'll ever need.

Comment

i know a member here on the site that has a 10 inch extended swingarm on his pre that he stuffed a 6 inch busa wheel into and is running a 190 rear. i also know another member with a post 98 kat with a 6 over swingarm planning on the same wheel and tire combo.

just letting you know that it can be done

like the others said though, if you aren't into heavy modification, get the post 98 rear wheel and run a 160, the 120/70-160/60 combo works great on my 06, so I would tend to believe it would work out great on your pre as well....it's a pretty common swap for many pre 98 kat owners.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                  If your going to give advise, try to give correct advise!

Stock size is 110/80/17 & 140/80/17. A good safe upgrade is 120/70/17 & 150/70/17.

With the size/hight and power of the kat, it's all the tire you'll ever need.
                  Check out CyberPoet's sheet for the 96 Katana. That is where I got my info from. I was just repeating what I read.

I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!

Comment

Originally posted by jdm5770 View Post
                    i agree

150/70/17 is stock rear size
                    120/70/17 in the stock front size (for a 98+)

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

whiteclover - You are wrong. The stock setup for a Pre (The OP says he has a 96) is what GSXFs600 said. The stock is 110/80/17 and 140/80/17. If you want to improve your tire setup on a Pre without changing the rims your best setup is 120/70/17 and 150/70/17. Some folks who run Pres, not all of them, will get a Post rear rim so they can run a 160/70/17. The problem you face is that you don't stick and pop up as well in the turns with a wider rear tire.

bmxtanker - Since it looks like you will be in C Springs when you get back then you are dealing with a lot of twisties in the mountains. I would recommend going with the 150/70/17. If you had more straight highway and long lazy trips then I would say think about the Post rim and go with a 160/70/17. A Post rim is cheap on ebay if the local junkyard doesn't have one.

Comment

it's 160/60/17

Comment

Working...
                        X