X

Tire Gauge Find!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Gauge Find!

So I went down to sears to get a tire gauge and could find nothing but junk! On the way back home I stop in at a local speed shop just to take a look.

Well they have these really nice Moroso tire Gauges at anywhere from $35.~$300. So I pick up a $117. dollar model. I also got a $12. tire gauge for the glovebox.

When I got home I tried out both and they read the same! I was shocked at the quality of the cheap gauge! I had just come from sears and they had 6 different models of tire gauge, all JUNK! Now I'm finding a $12. Gauge that built well and nice quality, this from a high priced speed shop!

Anyway, I returned the $100.+ gauge and bought another $12. gauge. And this is the Gauge! :

http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=93171

$117 for a TIRE GAUGE??? Does it inflate the tire AND blow you, too?
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post

I'd buy one

Comment

No! thats why I returned it! When I compared the two and they read the same, I thought...WTF! I'm not paying $117. for 1% accuracy, a 4" dial and 15" hose. when a $12. model works the same! Also the Moroso is made in the USA and the Professional Products is made in Taiwan.

I compared them at 20psi 40psi and 60psi. The both read the same.

I'm all for buy US made stuff if I need to pay a little more, but this $12. gauge is very nice quality.

Comment

I have a really nice professional spark plug gaper. I'll sell it to you for 1,000.00 It's made in the US and is solid piece high grade steel.
          sigpic

Comment

I don't care if the gauge was .000000005% accurate, I wouldn't pay $100 for it! You know what happens (almost without fail) to my tire pressure gauges? I drop them. On a hard surface. And then they are not accurate anymore. I re-"calibrate" them as well as I can, but that's only in comparison to another gauge...... which more than likely will be a $5 autozone piece, or something similar. If I had kept on being a mechanic, I probably would have gotten a digital gauge. At least they don't go wonky when they get dropped.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
              No! thats why I returned it! When I compared the two and they read the same, I thought...WTF! I'm not paying $117. for 1% accuracy, a 4" dial and 15" hose. when a $12. model works the same! Also the Moroso is made in the USA and the Professional Products is made in Taiwan.

I compared them at 20psi 40psi and 60psi. The both read the same.

I'm all for buy US made stuff if I need to pay a little more, but this $12. gauge is very nice quality.
              Dude, you got a Suzuki. Nuff said. Sometimes the USA stuff isn't worth it.

Comment

This is what have been using for last few years. I have one in each van and one under the seat of the bike.
                2000 Katana 600
                2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

well glad ya found a good cheap one.. and thanks for the link to the site.. pretty decent

Comment

Where can I get one too?
                    Is it available online? (I prefer the toothless model).
                    -
                    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

The problem with the cheap gauges is they get inaccurate over time even if you don't drop or abuse them. As long as you check them every several months to a year then your OK.
                      I wouldn't pay a hundred bucks for a tire gauge either. I recently picked up one from Matco for twenty. It's digital and reads identical to my 25 year old Snap On gauge that I make sure to check for accuracy every year or so.
                      While on the subject of my old gauge, I paid something close to 25 bucks back then so I guess in quarter century old dollars I paid over 50. Maybe I am crazy after all. In any event it has proved accurate over the years with no recalibrating. I recently put it up against a new Mac gauge and mine read a few pounds different. So I checked my old gauge against my Digital Scope with its transducer and my gauge was correct. Moral of the story is price and even newness does not equal accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by kidblooper View Post
                        well glad ya found a good cheap one.. and thanks for the link to the site.. pretty decent
                        This was my point. There's cheap junk gauges(most under $20. IMO), and there are well made low cost gauges(far and few).

I had a old store credit that will expire at the end of the year, so I need to use my $100. gift card from last years xMas.

I just found it odd, and would find it hard to believe if I were told I could get a good quality gauge for $12. So I thought I'd share.

The link is not where I bought it, just a pic for all to see.

http://www.professional-products.com/gaugesTire.html
                        Last edited by GSXfs600; 12-22-2008, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Heres the one I use, picked it up on sale for $9.99 http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true
                          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Cycle Gear has the one mentioned in the OP, but it's $18

while i'd love to get one for $12, by the time i get to the local "performance" shop on the other side of town to see what they have, i think any savings in price will be burnt up in gas and time. IF they charge $12 for it here.
                            KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by fixer View Post
                              Cycle Gear has the one mentioned in the OP, but it's $18

while i'd love to get one for $12, by the time i get to the local "performance" shop on the other side of town to see what they have, i think any savings in price will be burnt up in gas and time. IF they charge $12 for it here.
                              Thats funny! Same gauge! I also found the same gauge under the Accu-Gauge brand, but it was $25.

Comment

Working...
                              X