No announcement yet.
X

Pro's & con's for 160/60 on pre98 rim

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm some are missing an important point here, a "150" tyre from one maker may measure 145 but a "150" from another may measure 155 or anywhere in between

heres four more things that really count .....
    #1 rim size
    #2 the middle number in your tyre size
    #3 tyre construction
    #4 wheel construction

one day when someone will listen i'll explain it to you ....... maybe
    Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by Richdog33 View Post
      Ooops - I meant a 4" rim. Like I said, I had a few last night.
      So what's the verdict? Or is there one? I went with a 150/70 this year because everything I could find said that you should not go over that on a pre (4") rim (safely). Are we saying the Dunlop is Ok?
      pre rims are 3.0" front, 3.5" rear 89-97....('88 has f-3" and r-3")

where are you getting 4" from? its casted right into your rim

to simplify this on going question: if your tire is a certain size and made for a certain width rim, than it'll fit.....if its not meant to fit on that sized rim, that you take the risk.

if they made a 240 rear tire for a 4.5" rim, than im assumming that it'll fit, but in reality the 170 is pushing it(im running one myself, post rim of course), but as long as that 170 is made for a 4.5" rim, then its alright.....there are 170's that are meant to fit only 5.5" rims, thus wont work on the 4.5" (safely..in therory)......and i have yet to see a manuf. make the 180 fit on a 4.5, and anyone who runs a 180 on a 4.5 is a moron and will not get any sympathy from me when sh!t goes wrong, like your side wall giving out......and if for some reason you got a 180 to even remotely fit on a 3.5, you should be banned from this site, so you dont infect the rest of us with your stupidity

God i think chris (arsenic) is starting to wear off on me

According to the sticker on my 92 750,this bike came stock with a 150...
      Which leads me to my next dillema.Everywhere i read pepole are saying to run a 120 front tire instead of a 110.Now isnt 10mm,10mm?No matter if its a front tire or back.I just dont see where it makes that much differnce...
      Im currently running a 150 battelax but im going to use a 160 something i just dont what right now,sorta leaning towards the road,or sport attacks,but who really knows.Just my two cents.
      as for the front rim ive ran a 120/70-zr17 on a 3.0 rim......and a 3.5"

now lets break the math down......if a 3.5" rear rim can hold a 150, take 30mm ( 1.181102362206") off that and you have 120mm.... (25.399999999972568mm=1")

now take into account that your tire is not flat, its round, so there more area...cause on paper a 150 should be on a 5.9" rim if that was the case

Comment

Originally posted by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE View Post
        to simplify this on going question: if your tire is a certain size and made for a certain width rim, than it'll fit.....if its not meant to fit on that sized rim, that you take the risk.

if they made a 240 rear tire for a 4.5" rim, than im assumming that it'll fit, but in reality the 170 is pushing it(im running one myself, post rim of course), but as long as that 170 is made for a 4.5" rim, then its alright.....there are 170's that are meant to fit only 5.5" rims, thus wont work on the 4.5" (safely..in therory)......and i have yet to see a manuf. make the 180 fit on a 4.5, and anyone who runs a 180 on a 4.5 is a moron and will not get any sympathy from me when sh!t goes wrong, like your side wall giving out......and if for some reason you got a 180 to even remotely fit on a 3.5, you should be banned from this site, so you dont infect the rest of us with your stupidity
        Well said sir ive only been saying this since the day i joined the site but do they listen.......... nope of course not
        Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

pre rims are 3.0" front, 3.5" rear 89-97....('88 has f-3" and r-3")

where are you getting 4" from? its casted right into your rim
          Boy, don't I feel stupid now!
          Good info, though. I never paid much attention to the stamping in the rim before.

God i think chris (arsenic) is starting to wear off on me
          Is that a good thing?

...now lets break the math down......if a 3.5" rear rim can hold a 150, take 30mm ( 1.181102362206") off that and you have 120mm.... (25.399999999972568mm=1")

now take into account that your tire is not flat, its round, so there more area...cause on paper a 150 should be on a 5.9" rim if that was the case
          In the eginerring field, we only go out to 25.4 mm = 1". Pretty sweet math skills though. How far out can you take pi?

Never see a tire with straight sidewalls on a bike. That would be a hard bead to seal!

I believe it was CP who recommended changing up the stock 110/70 front to a 120/70 and the 140/70 rear for a 150/70. I value CP's opinions (seems there is a lot of research and knowledge behind them), so that's what I went with for the pre. If I wanted to go larger (which may be a possibility someday), I would have to change the rim, which I'm sure means a different swingarm, frame modifications, and a bunch more money that the wife would love me to spend! It'll probably be quite a while before I get to that!

Rich
          Last edited by Richdog33; 09-28-2008, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info on this matter, folks! I got a chunk of glass stuck in my rear tire yesterday and am forced to get a new one. Currently it has a 140/80 Battleax on it, but nobody in town has one that size. I'm guessing if they have a 150/70 sport tourer, that should do the trick. Thanks again.
            -Chance
            I live in my own little world, but it's ok..... they know me here!

Comment

Working...
            X