X

Newer tires on older rims? Poll

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer tires on older rims? Poll

On your pre 98's how many of you are running a 120/70/17 instead of the stock 110/80/17?

I went to a shop to buy the later tire and they said, no way! to dangerous!

Is this really the case? or did they have a bunch of 110/80/17's thay needed to dump?
    110/80/17
    0.00%
    120/70/17
    100.00%

I think you'll likely find that almost everyone runs 120's on the pre98 wheels.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

8 years so far with a 120/70/17 on my '90 600 with no problems. Just ordered a new front 120/70/17 Road Attack on Monday to match the new 150/70/17 rear I put on last month.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

Three years on 120's - no problems.
        "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

On the front? I see no reason not to.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I just replaced my 95 front with a 120. No issues yet.
            If it works, it's obsolete.
            Marshall McLuhan

Comment

120 with no problems as of yet. Bike handles great.
              -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
              -My wife

Comment

Thank you All! Just what I needed.

Comment

I just replaced my front & rear tires along with swaping in some 92 Kat tri-stars. My stockers were fugly. Which reminds me I need to post up some pics...
                  -Scott
                  '88 Katana 600
                  sigpic

Comment

looks unanimous from the results of the poll
                    lol

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

It may be common but it depends on the rim sizes as to wether its a good idea or even legal
                      Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by Benny600Boy View Post
                        I went to a shop to buy the later tire and they said, no way! to dangerous!
                        You will find LOTS of this amoung retailers.

Those guys know how to sell, mount and balance tires. Really, that is the sum total of what they know about the things. To be fair, they are not engineers, do not have access to test equipment or procedures, and are instructed what to say about ANYTHING out of the ordinary by their suppliers. What they are instructed to say amounts to this: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TELL A CONSUMER TO MOUNT ANY TIRE OTHER THAN THE ONE THE BOOK SAYS TO. IF YOU DO SO, YOU ARE TOTALLY ON YOUR OWN. AND DON'T SAY WE DIDN'T WARN YOU.

So, you get the party line- the book says size X, so you get size X. Or brand Y. Or type Z (radial or bias.)

I believe it goes back to the FEAR (but not necessarily the reality) of ligitation. Chances are, no one is going to be sued, but, like everything else, preception is now much more important than reality.
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I know what your saying! But these are gear head racer friends that have no motive to lie. They just flat out say, 120/70/17 are not made for a 3" rim!

Puts me in a tuff spot because I trust the guys but I can help but think, How can so many Kat riders be wrong?

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                          You will find LOTS of this amoung retailers.

Those guys know how to sell, mount and balance tires. Really, that is the sum total of what they know about the things. To be fair, they are not engineers, do not have access to test equipment or procedures, and are instructed what to say about ANYTHING out of the ordinary by their suppliers. What they are instructed to say amounts to this: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TELL A CONSUMER TO MOUNT ANY TIRE OTHER THAN THE ONE THE BOOK SAYS TO. IF YOU DO SO, YOU ARE TOTALLY ON YOUR OWN. AND DON'T SAY WE DIDN'T WARN YOU.

So, you get the party line- the book says size X, so you get size X. Or brand Y. Or type Z (radial or bias.)

I believe it goes back to the FEAR (but not necessarily the reality) of ligitation. Chances are, no one is going to be sued, but, like everything else, preception is now much more important than reality.

Comment

Just recently got my 1990 gsx750f and it's got a 120/70/17 on the front with a 160/60/17 on the rear stock rims..Seems fine to me..But I am a kr noob.
                            sigpic
                            1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Well I fixed my problem with later rims. Thanks all.

Last edited by GSXfs600; 10-07-2008, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X