X

Tire Pressures

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Pressures

You guys are gonna get a kick out of this!

Ever since I bought my new Kat, which was about 45 days ago, I have not been happy with the ride or handling. I have read a lot of posts on here about suspension settings, preload, rebound dampening, ect. I made sure mine is at stock settings. It road like a truck over railroad track. In turns, it dropped in quickly while the rear wallowed and felt unsafe. So, I checked the tires. The looked fine. I heard the stock tires were crap and thought I might just buy some Metzlers. This morning I was about to back it out of the garage when it dawned on me.

I HAVE NEVER CHECKED THE TIRE PRESSURES!!!

Good God... guess what I found?

Front: 52psi
    Rear: 14psi

Gee, wonder why it handles funny?

Since I weigh 200lbs, I set it at:

Front: 34
    Rear: 38

It now rides nice and smooth and handles predictably.

I still can't figure how the dealer delivered it with over 50psi in the front tire. But still, lesson learned!

Now that I have the pressures correct I don't think I need to make any adjustments.

That's crazy...speaking of which, I have never checked my tire pressure. I think I'm going to do that when I get home today. Thanks!

Comment

wow, I am amazed that the tires held out at such high and low pressure!

Also, I would like to suggest a producet called "Ride-On" which is a self sealant for the tires; so less worry about leaks and small punctures.
      sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

And from here on out, you ARE going to check it at least once a week, RIGHT?
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by Mopar-Man View Post
          Since I weigh 200lbs, I set it at:

Front: 34
          Rear: 38
          You should probally go up 1 or 2 up on eahc of them. Stock recomendation is for someone who is 140lbs with gear. And I think you are suppose to add 2psi for ever 50 lbs over that.
          "It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them"

KatRider. A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist. Uloset, a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
            And from here on out, you ARE going to check it at least once a week, RIGHT?
            Hell yes! I could have crashed hard because of this. I guess because it is my first NEW bike I was in the "gas it and ride it" mentality.

Comment

Man, don't rag on yourself, and certainly don't because it's your first bike. I am doing minor repair on an 01 Bandit, and could not ride it for months because the shifter was broken when i got it. When I finally rode it for the first time, it was squirrly as hell- wanted to turn in big time, it was a minor fight in every turn. I was freaking out- could not figure out what was causing it- the front end was completly undamaged. Guess what it was? Yep. Tire pressure. Didn't think about it myself, I came here, and read another post about... tire pressure.

Even a seasoned rider can forget.
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by Uloset View Post
                You should probally go up 1 or 2 up on eahc of them. Stock recomendation is for someone who is 140lbs with gear. And I think you are suppose to add 2psi for ever 50 lbs over that.
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                X