X

Rear wheel alignment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel alignment

Adjusted the chain today, and attempted to align the rear wheel. I adjusted it the best i could getting the gear teeth to stay in the middle of the chain. I kept spinning the wheel to make sure they stayed in the center, and then tightened it all up. I went out and rode it around town < 20mph, came back and checked it. Teeth still in the middle of the chain, chain tension good. Go back out, warm bike up and beat the **** out of it. Nothing out of the ordinary, teeth still in middle, chain tension good. Anything I'm forgetting? I didn't have any string I could use for the string method, so I winged it. I hope I'm not messing anything up...

P.S. this is the first time i've messed with the chain or rear wheel since i've had the bike.

Then I lubed the chain up w/ pj11 after I beat it up and then let it sit.

Should be fine. as long as the teeth are staying centered on the chain on the bottom, rear and top of the sprocket. But I would look at the front sprocket and see just how its riding there. The rear tire might be sitting true, but out of line to the front slightly. Get some string or a laser, which I prefer to use.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

According to the maintenance manual:

"The reference marks on both sides of the swingarm and the edge of each chain adjuster must be aligned to ensure that the fron and rear wheels are correctly aligned. section 2-14

I'll try to figure out a way to host a pic of that section from work. Stupid wesbsense...

Ah ha! needed to go advanced. I've never done this before, this is just what the post '98 service manual says, so I'm sure there are better and worse ways to align a rear tire.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ATOMonkey; 06-11-2008, 06:02 AM.

Comment

how is the string version work???
        I have always just turned same amount on each adjuster. (not correct i pressume)

Sorry for my s h i t t y english, but i'm danish.

My bike... http://kortlink.dk/4dsu
        sigpic

Comment

I presume you stretch a string longer than the bike and use that as your straight line reference to adjust your back sprocket to line up with the front.

Laser works the same way, but you can't bump into a laser and bend it like a string.

Comment

Yes, use and/or buy a manual and all will be fine.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

The string method is not hard and pretty accurate. Here are two links that explain it pretty well. Link 1 Link 2
              The basic idea is as follows:
              1) trace a straight line from your rear tire to your front
              2) make sure the front tire is pointing straight
              3) adjust the rear so that the line is parallel to the front.
              The string is a quick n cheap way to trace that line. Just remember to make sure that the string does not touch anything other than the rear tire's edges, i.e. keep it away from the centerstand, sidestand, exhaust mounts, etc. Once that is done, you can adjust the rear tire's alignment using the chain adjusters.

You may need to go really low on the tire at about 4 inches from the ground to get a clear line on the string. At that height, the string will go under the centerstand without touching anything else. The swingarm reference marks right above the axle bolts can be used for initial coarse alignment. Simply line up the v-notch to the same mark on both sides of the swingarm. I got to within 2 mm on either side of the front tire after aligning only with the reference marks. Given that motorcycle tires can vary by as much as 5 mm for different tires/bikes, 2 mm is within tolerance.
              Good luck.
              Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

i always just used the marks on the swing arm to adjust and align mine

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

ATOMonkey - you work for RRC? If so I am in the test department at plant 8.
                  How is my manner of life working out for you?

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post

You then assume that the plates are correctly lined up.... and more often than not I've found one of the plates to be "off" slightly.

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post

You then assume that the plates are correctly lined up.... and more often than not I've found one of the plates to be "off" slightly.
                    Last edited by steves; 06-11-2008, 12:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

This is what happened to me.

I once thought the marks on the sides of the swingarm where good enough. After reading some post and comments on here, I learned from people on here that the marks arent always true. So I tried the string method and the fact was my wheels were not aligned. I fixed it and noticed the differance.

What brought me to this in the first place was a slight lean on the bike whenever I let go of the handle bars going about 15-20MPH. It would always lean to the left. Long story short, after posting the issue and reading peoples suggestions, I did the string adjustment. While I was there I readjusted for correct chain slack too. Low and behold, I can let go of the bars now and the bike goes straight. I was so happy after the string alignment. It really made the differance.

Prior to this I had my swingarm marks the same on both sides (4th line in) and the chain looked striaght. Now the marks are 4th line in on the left and 4.75 line in on the right but I know Im straight.

Just thought Id share my story.

Comment

I knew those plates were messed up, mine are way off. The bike seems to track fine, but I'm going to pick up some string this weekend and do that. I don't have a laser to do it with.

Comment

Couldn't you just measure the marks on the swingarm on each side from the back to see if they were the same?
                          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                            Couldn't you just measure the marks on the swingarm on each side from the back to see if they were the same?
                            i don't think the swing arm is reflection symmetric, and it just doesn't work that way :-/

Comment

WOW, I learned this when I was 8 years old working on my bicycle, principle has not changed
                              sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Working...
                              X