X

Tire width for heavier rider?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire width for heavier rider?

OK, I have to admit I have big bones... I carry my 250 large well but I was wondering if a wider rear tire will give better tire life.

I was going to order a set some stock sized Z6 Metzlers for my 750 but then I thought if I went one-up on the rear tire I might get more mileage from the rear.

I currently have 19,000km on the stock rubber and noticed that the stock rear held up fairly well as did the front. The front tire has cupped noticeably.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Dude just ron with the stock sizes 150/70/17 and you will be good look into touring radials like Pireilli Diablo Strada's they are great and worked really well on my 2005 600, and i was 270 when i was riding it...

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

You need to adjust the tire pressure more so than buying larger tires. I've never heard of larger tires lasting longer for a larger rider. Increase your air pressure to around 36psi front and 39psi rear. IMO, air pressure is the biggest factor in how a tire wears.
      1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Width has nothing directly to do with weight. There is a specified load rating on the tire for just this reason. You will be fine with the stock 150/70 size.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Stock size it is then... thanks guys. I might look for something other than Metzler though... a local shop quoted me $600 for both tires (installed). Too damn steep if you ask me.
          1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

My local shop wanted $320 for Pirelli Stradas plus $120 for mounting (if I brought them the bike). I picked up the tires from Dennis Kirk for $210 shipped (I used their pricing matching promise for this price). I pulled my own wheels and got each tire mounted and balanced for $35.

$600 is steep. I would bet that you can do a lot better than that.

BTW along with increasing tire pressure you may want to tweak your suspension settings to match your weight. It helped me a lot when I stiffened the rear end.

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
              Stock size it is then... thanks guys. I might look for something other than Metzler though... a local shop quoted me $600 for both tires (installed). Too damn steep if you ask me.
              Check out Continental Road Attack, I bought them from my dealership and had them install, total was $350.
              25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
                WOWWWWWWWWWWW thats a major ripoff the tires are 230-250 on avg cheaper if you really look and installment should be no more than 100.00 give or take for the whole package 325.00-350.00
                sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Welcome to the great white north! I found a link in another thread for z6's for $225 plus $80us for shipping. That would be $300 if there was no duty... then installation $80-100

$400us hmmm, I will be travelling to the US in July... Maybe I should set something up with a tire shop on our trip route.
                  1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Tires

Bare Kat are you riding your bike to the USA? Or driving? where are you headed If I may ask? You can get some great deals around the Pittsburgh,Pa area Or order online and have them shipped to where you will be headed in the US and take them ack home and have them mounted or do it yourself its not that hard.

Comment

Toronto,ON
                      Williamsport, PA
                      State College, PA
                      Harrisonburg, VA
                      Lexington
                      Lexington
                      Elkins, WV
                      MILESBURG / State college, PA
                      Burlington
                      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Yeah my shop charged $60 an end ($120 total) to mount the Diablo Strads I brought him...i think the tires ran me a ****hair over $200. Would have been allot cheaper if i pulled the wheels off for him...but i was lazy
                        but yeah 6 bills is way to much for tires....i dont care if they are 24k GOLD they aint worth it

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow, missed this thread.
                          If you are wanting to ship them somewhere, you can ship them to me, although I am probably about an hour and a half outside your route (Round Hill, VA.) I would be more than willing to lend you a hand and/or tools to mount them up too. It's a fairly easy job.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Thanks for the offer thetable... I'll be with a group of 8 or 10 guys so I don't want to inconvenience the "group". I don't mind paying for the service but the "total" price wasn't palatable.

1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

if your going to hit up any bars while your in williamsport, i suggest the cell block. we used to go there all the time when i was in college. its an old jail. pretty cool
                              "W"

Comment

Working...
                              X