X

Rode with low pressure...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rode with low pressure...

It serves me right for relying on the cheap plastic gauge on my inflater pump. I took it out for the first ride of the season today. It's actually my first real ride on this bike since I got it a couple months ago.

Is it normal for these things to be so twitchy? Any little change and the thing responds with twitchyness. I'm just wondering if the tire pressure may have anything to do with it. I bought a digital tire gauge and it read I was at 26psi in the front and 30 in the rear. I corrected them but I haven't ridden it since.

Any thoughts?
    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

I rode mine on pressures around that(dumby didn't check pressure after 3 weeks of not riding), noticed the turns being really sloppy, but never the bike being twitchy.

Have you messed with the throttle cable at all?
    Foolish men search the earth for worldly masters, not realizing that their own mind is the master.

Comment

It wasn't throttle twitchy, it was steering twitchy. Maybe I'm not used to the riding position yet... I have to learn to keep the weight off my arms, but I'm not that bad really.

Originally posted by Drastion View Post
      I rode mine on pressures around that(dumby didn't check pressure after 3 weeks of not riding), noticed the turns being really sloppy, but never the bike being twitchy.

Have you messed with the throttle cable at all?

sigpic

Comment

They get real squirrely on low pressure. I used a digital one until I realised, if you pushed harder, it read higher on that particular gauge. I use a good quality sliding type now.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I like the sliding type also.
          American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

i find tire pressure has everything to do with the handling of the bike. and i don't like surprises so i roll by the free air pump down the road once a week, at least, and check it with a slide-type gauge a few times
            1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Yes you don't need a tire failure ! I also use a slide gauge and keep it to (2006/750) ft.33psi/Rear 36psi!. She handles good and stable!

That is cold tire pressure!
              Last edited by redrider; 03-14-2008, 09:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I run 34 front / 36 rear.
                Not a better gage than one of these in my opinion...
                It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

My digital gauges work great and are accurate. I check tire pressures often. You will be surprised how much of a difference it will make in handling, with the correct pressure.
                  2007 Honda CBR600rr
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                  sigpic

Comment

I filled tonight after my ride and checked using the digital gauge. I'm running 36 and 36 now, we'll see what happens this morning at 8:30am.

sigpic

Comment

COLD tire pressure, once it is heated like after a ride, you don't get an accurate reading. Check and Fill before you ride on it.
                      2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                      Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                      "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                      Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                      Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                      "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Even a few psi difference when cold will make a HUGE difference in how the bike rides / handles.

Comment

The correct pressure helped but it didn't fix it... it still seemed kind of tight and twitchy so I put two new Metzler Z6's on it and replaced the steering head/stem bearings.

It's like a whole different bike now!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X