X
X

120/60zr17 and 170/60zr17 on 95 kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you have a 170 on a 3.5" rim? I wouldn't even put a 170 on a 4.5" rim.

Comment

yeah i do that's what i got the bike with and i haven't had a lick of trouble with it. i just looked at it today to make sure and yep 170 i got nervous after reading this post, but i haven't had trouble with it so i guess pimp it if got it, right?
      1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
      1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
      Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        you have a 170 on a 3.5" rim? I wouldn't even put a 170 on a 4.5" rim.
        Our beloved moderator said...

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
        Ignore Arse.. ( that's gonna stick now)
        You can shoehorn a 190 on that puppy!!

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel View Post
          Our beloved moderator said...
          et to kwebbel?

Comment

wouldn't dare to doubt it sir

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckie29 View Post
              I thought it was odd but everything i found on here said that i shouldn't run larger on a pre98 with stock rims but my 95 runs fine on my 120/60 170/60 combo it has. Should i go smaller when i get new tires or stay with what im happy with????

ohh sweet jeebus....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                Ok let me chime in here. I run the M1 Sporttechs on my 89 Kat 750. I have the 120/60 in the front and the 160/60 in the rear. I do have to say the 120/60 does not turn in as well as the 110/70 I had on the front. I went to the 120/60 front because of my riding style. I was using all the front to the very very edge. So the 120/60 keeps me in check. That is my thinking anyway. Now the M3's are good tires and stick very well. Dapig has them on his 2006 750. I would go with the 120/70 front and the 160/60 on the rear. your rear rim is a 4.5 inch and can handle a 160/60 with no problem. Going to the 160/60 in the rear gives you a little more tire choice without having to special order the 150/70. My rule that I have always gone by is you can go up or down 1 size and be fine. Anymore than that you are setting yourself up for trouble. There is a formula on how to calculate the closet tire size to stock but I do not have it. One of my Sgt's did the math for me one day and I should run the 120/70 over the 110/70 or 120/60. The 120/70 is closer somehow to my stock size of a 110/80. So with your being on a 98+ Kat go with the 120/70 front and 160/60 rear in which ever tire you choose and ride safe.
                If that doesn't answer the question I really don't see a need to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  If that doesn't answer the question I really don't see a need to continue.
                  so stick with what makes me comfortable?

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckie29 View Post
                    so stick with what makes me comfortable?
                    I think they were trying to say stick with what isnt dangerous. Id imagine a 170/60 tire on a 3.5" wheel is most likely considered dangerous by most standards. If you still really arent sure, call the tire manufacturer and ask them what tire size the recommend for a 3.5"x17" rear wheel. I doubt ANY of them will recommend a 170/60 tire.

If you're already in the tire market for new tires, get a 150/70 rear and see how the bike handles.

Comment

Originally posted by wcj View Post
                      I think they were trying to say stick with what isnt dangerous. Id imagine a 170/60 tire on a 3.5" wheel is most likely considered dangerous by most standards. If you still really arent sure, call the tire manufacturer and ask them what tire size the recommend for a 3.5"x17" rear wheel. I doubt ANY of them will recommend a 170/60 tire.

If you're already in the tire market for new tires, get a 150/70 rear and see how the bike handles.
                      my tire still has good tread and rides well i'm just feeling akward with everyone saying 160 is the biggest size to put on a kat, when i know i got a 170 and im happy with it

Comment

OK the horse is dead..

Comment

Working...
                        X