88 rim width issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 rim width issue

Hello all!

My first post, and my first question. I have read and read everything I can on this site, and no one seems to have had this particular issue:

My new-to-me 88 has a 2.5" front and 3.0" rear wheel (as stamped on the wheel). After reading all the posts I was all set to order z6's, when I called up my local dealer to order tires and gave him the sizes (120/70 and 150/70) and the bike he said they would not work because the 88 had narrower rims then 89 and on. I told him he was mistaken but he was adamant, so I went and looked - yep, he was right. I could buy a set of used rims, but that is not in the budget and I have only ridden the bike once since I bought it and am hesitant to dump money in just yet. Unfortunately the current rubber is badly dry rotted.

Suggestions? Or links to things I missed?

I'd really like radials but am having trouble finding anything that will work....

Thanks in advance

Richard

I have pre front and rear rims, you can have them both for $125 + shipping.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...196180393&rd=1

Just let me know, I'll pull them off ebay and send you a paypal invoice.
    They are 3" and 3.5" rims
    Last edited by arsenic; 02-21-2008, 11:35 PM.

Comment

I know Chris wants to sell you some rims but til you can afford them the Dunlop GT tires will work on your bike. They are made for the skinner rims. go to dunlops site and check the size available.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post

thanks for the offer, still trying to decide if I want to spend time and money on newer wheels - there was a foot of snow when I bought the bike so I have only ridden it one day so far.

Comment

Well I have an 88 Katana. I use the metzlers z6's with that tire size. Stock rims and swingarm and can tell you with out a doubt that they work just fine. Infact this is my 3rd set of tires, and can tell you I ****ing love them.

These tires have seen well over 100 mph and corner like god. /shrug

Comment

Originally posted by creepinghunter View Post
            Well I have an 88 Katana. I use the metzlers z6's with that tire size. Stock rims and swingarm and can tell you with out a doubt that they work just fine. Infact this is my 3rd set of tires, and can tell you I ****ing love them.

These tires have seen well over 100 mph and corner like god. /shrug

Are you still on the stock 2.5 front and 3.0 rear or on a 89 and up rim?
            Last edited by rbl; 02-24-2008, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I am on the stock 88 3.00 rear and 2.50 front. I work in the field and tire guys think they know everything. I get into arguments with my supplier all the time. Sad thing is that I went to school for tire's, well took a class on it anyways. I dont know it all but can assure you that it works.

Comment

tires ordered!

Originally posted by creepinghunter View Post
                I am on the stock 88 3.00 rear and 2.50 front. I work in the field and tire guys think they know everything. I get into arguments with my supplier all the time. Sad thing is that I went to school for tire's, well took a class on it anyways. I dont know it all but can assure you that it works.
                OK, I ordered z6's just now from Dennis Kirk - they beat Ron Ayers by one dollar which was the best price I could find for them to beat ($103.94 front, $119.91 rear). $50 shipping to BC - they will ship by post instead of UPS which saves me money on brokerage - it does take longer but I am in no rush. The difference between that and my local dealer ($147 front, $197 rear) will pay for the mount and balance.

I'll put these on my stock rims for now, and so long as I decide I like the bike after a couple longer rides I'll go for a set of 89 and up rims.

Thanks for the input!
                Last edited by rbl; 02-24-2008, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Hey NP, glad I could be of assitance.
                  I love mine and I think you will as well. I have had no issues on wet or dry.
                  I am also gona end up going with a newer rim set as well but probably not till next year. I want to change my sprockets and the options for the 88 are pitiful. They have 2 size differences for the rear and a few more for the front but the rear is the biggest change and maybe go up one in front.
                  Good luck with riding :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                  X