Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What is best way to support bike with rear wheel off?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is best way to support bike with rear wheel off?

Well due to some less than reputable bike shops in the area that want basically over $500 for 2 tires and mounting I am going to pull the wheel off the bike and take it back home to get it mounted for $20 and buy my tires online for around $230 shipped (Z6's). What is the best way to support the bike in the garage so someone does not accidentally knock it over? The bike will be in the garage for around 2 weeks without the rear wheel on. I was thinking maybe a plastic milk crate or something. Any suggestions?

www.WVstreets.com

center stand?

Comment

Yeah, I gotta go with Dan on this one. I'm sure someone here could sell you one cheap. You could get a rear stand from pit bull, around $150. There are cheaper rear stands though.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

looking at your previous pictures it looks like no center stand I dont have one either, so one of the members here got creative...

get an A frame ladder and some ratchet straps, pull the bike under the ladder, hook the strap to the frame on both sides, loop it over the top of the ladder and crank carefully, that worked for us
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Do they come stock with a center stand? Mine is a 1996, it is 3 hours away so I can not just run out and look. I hope it has one.

(typed this before I seen the other posts, lol)

I will look around here for a center stand. That sounds like the way to go. I can just see someone going into the garage and leaning on the bike and smashing up the damn plastic before I even got to ride it.
          Last edited by mrphotoman; 12-19-2007, 03:34 PM.

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

Originally posted by mrphotoman View Post
            Do they come stock with a center stand? Mine is a 1996, it is 3 hours away so I can not just run out and look. I hope it has one.

(typed this before I seen the other posts, lol)

I will look around here for a center stand. That sounds like the way to go. I can just see someone going into the garage and leaning on the bike and smashing up the damn plastic before I even got to ride it.
            Center stands were an option on the pre98's.

For about $45 in materials you can make one of these: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=65958

For about $60 shipped you can get one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...spagenameZWDVW
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              Center stands were an option on the pre98's.
              That's news to me..

One really cheap and simple way is to run a pipe through the frame hole above the swing arm pivot and set it up on jack stands..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                That's news to me..
                I forget who posted that where... and I don't have the time to search it up. Something like the Center Stand being a $150 DIO... which is why they tend to be so rare on the pre98's.
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I think the only reason they are "rare" on the pre 98s is that so many people ditch them.. As far as I know it was standard. It's in the fiche as part of the side stand and rear brake lever. Strikes me it would be all on it's own or part of the optional page..

Comment

That's news to me..

One really cheap and simple way is to run a pipe through the frame hole above the swing arm pivot and set it up on jack stands..

Great idea!!!!

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

That's news to me..
                      Can't seem to find a reliable source... but the internet seems to say that it was standard on the 750's, but an option on the 600.... which would explain why so few 600's seem to have them.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

you can do what I did and make a wooden a-frame and use ratchet straps to lift the front...

about $35.00 to make..
                        2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

I gotta go with the "Home Depot Motorcycle stand"....Took me all of two beers to put together...I think it was $55-ish ..

Easy and sturdy enough that I still have all new hardware parts for the pre 98 centerstand and the used center stand I snagged off Ebay.

Everything I have come across says the center stand was an option on the 96 and back 600 Kat (my parts counter guy said 97 it said the parts were standard on the 600)

I know my bike was stock enough that it still has the fender, reflectors etc etc....so I doubt he removed the Centerstand while he had it.

I can hang the bike on 4 ratchet straps to where I can make it hang high enough and stable enough that I changed the oil pan and went into the tranny.... (with my floor jack just touching so I have an extra second to get my face out of the way if the ratchet straps give (rate for 2K LB each)

I plan on using it again shortly when I start taking off the fairings to dig into the paint job.

And all the other crap I need to do while it's cold.......

Comment

As an experienced rednecker , I'll chime in ....
                            1 Centerstand if you have it
                            2 A-frame ladder and straps or rope (yeah , that worked SURPRISINGLY well )

3 Home Depot stand . Works GREAT . Only reason it's number 3 on my list is because you gotta take time out to go buy the supplies and put it together , whereas most people already have or have access to a suitable ladder and straps or rope .
                            Never tried the rebar through the frame hole deal , though . Always wanted to , but I ain't got no jack stands . I'd feel better about having the bike suspended first , though . Of course , if you happen to have a big tree in the front yard and some rope , or maybe a second story deck ....... Just make sure if you use rope , you know how to tie a knot that won't come loose .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

find a center stand on Ebay they are relatively inexpensive my buddies pre 98 i think got one for under 40 shipped off ebay
                              02' Katana 600
                              D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

Working...
                              X