Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Replace Just 1 Tire with a Different Brand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Just 1 Tire with a Different Brand?

I need a new front tire. The front still has the factory Dunlop tire on it. The P.O. replaced the rear with a Pirelli Diablo Strada. I would eventually like to upgrade to the Metzler Z6's as CyberPoet suggested.

Would it be OK to put the Metzler Z6 on the front and ride with the Pirelli on the rear until it is time to replace it? (This Pirelli on the rear looks like new and I am a cheap SOB!)

Or, would it be better to get a Pirelli Diablo Strada for the front?

As for my riding style, I ride some pretty aggressive twisties with varying types of pavement about every other weekend for about 150 miles or so, but I also commute about 40 miles round trip on the interstate. I don't stunt. I don't do burn-outs.
    -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
    -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

The Z6 is practically the same tire as the Diablo Strada.

The biggest thing with different tire brands is the compound. You don't want a touring tire with a harder compound on the back with a sport tire with soft compound in the front. Example, you don't want a Z6 on the back with a Pilot Power on the front. That said, there should be no problems having a Z6 and a Strada on your bike.

Long Live the D

Comment

So if they're practically the same tire, would it be pretty much the same performance wise to go with a new Diablo?
      -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
      -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

Yeah. I do think the Z6 is claimed to have slightly better wet traction. The tread patters are so close though it'd be argueable. If you're worried about it, just buy the Strada to match up. That's what I'm running on my Kat. Once you get the tire warm you'll have excellent grip. When they're cold, you'll want to take it easy. I had the rear break loose only once when they were cold coming out of a curve hard on the throttle. More my fault than the tire really.

Long Live the D

Comment

Working...
        X