X

Broke bolt off in wheel.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke bolt off in wheel.

I got a set of rims from a fellow katrider a couple of months ago. I just got around to pulling everything off of them to get them powder coated. As I was removing the rotor from the rear one of the bolts snapped even with the wheel leaving the threads inside. Any ideas on how I get the partial bolt out? I thought about drilling but then I would have to tap a larger hole and drill the rotor to accommodate the new bolt. I do not feel comfortable drilling a rotor.

You get the rest of the bolts out ? If so , and the rotor's off , maybe you can grab what's left of the bolt with vicegrips and get it out .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah, how much of the bolt is still exposed? Can you grind a slot or something in it? Last ditch effort would be an easy out... but I don't trust those...
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The bolt snapped off even with the wheel face so nothing sticking up to grab. I was able to remove the other three first and the last one was the headache.

Comment

Well, you can try the easy-out method... but I've not had much success with them.....

Sometimes... *sometimes* you can drill the bolt out slowly, going up in size and you can get the threads to spin out... then run an appropriate size tap through to clean up the threads. but I would only use that as a last ditch effort!

Have you tried finding a machine shop locally?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
            Well, you can try the easy-out method... but I've not had much success with them.....

Sometimes... *sometimes* you can drill the bolt out slowly, going up in size and you can get the threads to spin out... then run an appropriate size tap through to clean up the threads. but I would only use that as a last ditch effort!

Have you tried finding a machine shop locally?
            i actuallu used this method on 5 of them from 2 rims and it work great. i went down a couple sizes and bought a new bit hoping for a better bite, and it worked. i did spray the heck out of them for a few hours with pb blaster.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, beer in one hand, cigarette in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WHO HOO what a ride"

Comment

PB blaster is great for a situation like this. Other things that you could do is use a left hand drill bit or an extractor bit. That will help pull the piece out as you drill. Giving the broken stud a hit with a center punch will also help loosen it.

Comment

Working...
              X