X

putting a 180 on a kat, what do i need

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting a 180 on a kat, what do i need

i know its not safe to put a 180 on the stock rim, so im not. what do i need to do to get one on. will a gsxr swing arm fit (90-91) with the gsxr or gsxf post 98 rim fit. let me know. i just sold my car to dump more money in my bike

Re: putting a 180 on a Kat, what do i need

Originally posted by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE
    i know its not safe to put a 180 on the stock rim, so I'm not. what do i need to do to get one on. will a gsxr swing arm fit (90-91) with the gsxr or gsxf post 98 rim fit. let me know. i just sold my car to dump more money in my bike
    no a gixxer swing arm will not with out a lot of frame mods if you like the look of the pree you can do what I did I got a RF900 arm and a pree arm and took them to a fabrication shop and had them make me one out of both of the and it bolted right up all I had to do was cut my passenger pag off and move them out so as not to hit the swing arm.

Comment

well i work at a machine shop, well would a Dunlop Sportsmax II D204 160/60zr17Rear Tire fit on the stock pre 600 rim, and would you happen to know if the post 98 rim would fit on the pre, and if so how much work, i know there wider, i think by and inch

Comment

As far as a 160/60zr17 on a pree rim yes it will fit I had a 160/70zr on my 93 Kat rim as far as a 98+ rim I am not sure but I think so.

Comment

can you tell a big difference in the size of the tires? and were you able to lean the bike over more. ive gotten to the point were i leaned over to far with the stock tire and slid the rear out, not trying to have that happen anymore, what about a 170????? will it fit in the swing arm?

Comment

It's alot of work to swap your swingarm. I did it but for simplicity's sake I would suggest just getting a 98+ wheel. I had a 160 on my pre 98 wheel but it didn't look right. The rim is 3.5" and a 160 is designed for a 4.5". Putting it on the pre 98 wheel bows it in and it's no wider than the tire you already have. I think the 98+ is a simple matter of changing wheels & will allow the 160 to be as wide as it should.

Comment

does the post 98 rim just bolt in

Comment

You might need the spacers from the 98+ but I'm not completly sure. There are plenty of folks on here that could tell you for sure. No matter what I promise you it's a lot less work than a swingarm swap & alot cheaper. On my bike I have a 97 RF900 swingarm, 97 RF900 rear brake, RF 900 axle, 2004 GSXR 600 wheel, 2002 Hayabusa rear sets, 2005 GSXR 1000 rear pegs, cut frame and new lower frame rails. Making it all work together, priceless. Trust me it's a lot of work. If you decide to do it let me know & I'll try to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmatthew46
                  It's alot of work to swap your swingarm. I did it but for simplicity's sake I would suggest just getting a 98+ wheel. I had a 160 on my pre 98 wheel but it didn't look right. The rim is 3.5" and a 160 is designed for a 4.5". Putting it on the pre 98 wheel bows it in and it's no wider than the tire you already have. I think the 98+ is a simple matter of changing wheels & will allow the 160 to be as wide as it should.
                  this is what a 160 looks like on a pree or a 93 rim

Shot with KODAK EASYSHARE CX6230 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2006-11-20

Comment

got a rear shot on that looks more rounded than the 140. im trying to scrap a knee, but the 140 wont allow it unless im leaning too far without enough shift of my body

Comment

If you're trying to scrape knees , the tire/wheel ain't your problem . YOU'RE the problem . MANY folks scrape knees with a 160 . Tires fatter than a 160 will actually DECREASE your contact patch when leaned over with the stock rim . Get a GOOD tire on there , and work on YOU . Not trying to sound condescending here , just honest .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

One quick comment...I put a Metzler M3 160/70/17 on the rear of my 2000 Kat (stock 150/70/17). Good tire overall, warmed quickly and was realativly sticky...trouble is 3-4K miles later I now need a new back tire. Threads showing directly in the middle about a 1/2 in wide strip. To me this means 2 things....
                        1) The tire composition is made for sport and therefore not long lived anyway. But I'd think more than 3-4K worth!
                        2) Because I stuffed a wider tire on a stock rim, this caused the tire to buldge outward in the center, so my main actual contact point was the ~1" strip in the center.
                        I do not do any burnouts / wheelies etc...some occational canyon riding, but the outter edges were still good with tread.
                        Again just my experience with adding a wider tire to a stock rim...
                        I am ordering a Conti Road Attack in the stock size 150/70/17 to try it out.
                        I live in a Kat-a-tonic State!

Comment

160/70 is too big for stock. The biggest tire you should consider is a 160/60.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

One quick comment...I put a Metzler M3 160/70/17 on the rear of my 2000 Kat (stock 150/70/17). Good tire overall, warmed quickly and was realativly sticky...trouble is 3-4K miles later I now need a new back tire. Threads showing directly in the middle about a 1/2 in wide strip. To me this means 2 things....
                            1) The tire composition is made for sport and therefore not long lived anyway. But I'd think more than 3-4K worth!
                            2) Because I stuffed a wider tire on a stock rim, this caused the tire to buldge outward in the center, so my main actual contact point was the ~1" strip in the center.
                            I do not do any burnouts / wheelies etc...some occational canyon riding, but the outter edges were still good with tread.
                            Again just my experience with adding a wider tire to a stock rim...
                            I am ordering a Conti Road Attack in the stock size 150/70/17 to try it out.
                            I live in a Kat-a-tonic State!

Comment

If you are looking to dragknee you can do it with stock...Here is some proof from other members doing it...

Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Working...
                              X