Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

On w/ the mods: 190 rear tire,20+ HP gain, here we go!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slamcool
    Originally posted by crazymofo
    your welcome slam.

nice research on your part too.

my last post was full of typo's lol, but hopefully you got the message.

but if i can make one recomendation on tyres.. its metzler M3 im running a 120/70 17 on the front and a 180/55 17 on the rear of my sv650. ive snapped footpegs (raise inch from stock) in half decking them from the lean angles, and dragged the exhaust constantly with them, they are brilliant tyres and handle 50deg leans with ease.

they get a little skatey (no slides just drifts) when its cold and wet and your pushing it, but otherwise, beautiful controlable tyres, with excellent feedback. and their wear rate is exceptional, used to get 3500km from a set of pilot powers, now get 5000km from a set of m3's with more grip and feedback to burn!

cheers.joe.
    Okay, now I want them badly... You sold me the product totally.
    I went on their site and looked, they dont have 150/70 of this model... sniff ... I'm so sad, I'll have to go wider and buy their 160/60.... so sad....

LOLL

But calculating 70% of 150 and 60% of 160...

It's dropping from 105mm to 96mm profile.... that's like 1cm lower... now that starts to make a quite noticable difference... Makes me wander a lot. And the speedo will cetainly be a bit off now if I do that.

The 190/55 at 104.5 mm you told me about would actually be probably better for the setup of the bike...

Hey you seem a pretty pro and experienced driver. My rear displays wear from one edge to the other, but the front has what we could say... chicken strips. What does it tell you about my driving style?

Gaining 1cm wide but loosing 1cm high... seems like not so different... but now we know that loss of profile changes the max lean angle does'nt it... From our research that's what is the logical conclusion when the profile truly changes.... I will definitely loose angle.

But.... The 150 on a 4.5 compared to a 160 on that same 4.5... is one more natural than the other? That factor changes all my questioning, because if the stock 150 is installed on a bit wider than necessary, it was not operating in optimal conditions... probably making the ride more sluggish than with the proper and most natural setup.

The more natural would totally be the best choice.

If it exists, a 160/65 (104mm) would really be perfect!
    you'll find going to the 160/60 will be just as tall, as the stock 150/70, as the center of the tyre will be pushed up (outwards) on the wider tyre to fit on the narrower rim.

as for your tyres wear, it comes down to profile of the tyre, powers for example run right to the edge very easily because the have a profile thats steeper, where as you got a dunlop which is really round, you'll find have big chicken strips.
    also, if your prone to come into corners off the brakes and at lower speed, then twist the throttle as you come out, will use the rear tyre up more then the front.

cheers.joe.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymofo
      you'll find going to the 160/60 will be just as tall, as the stock 150/70, as the center of the tyre will be pushed up (outwards) on the wider tyre to fit on the narrower rim.

as for your tyres wear, it comes down to profile of the tyre, powers for example run right to the edge very easily because the have a profile thats steeper, where as you got a dunlop which is really round, you'll find have big chicken strips.
      also, if your prone to come into corners off the brakes and at lower speed, then twist the throttle as you come out, will use the rear tyre up more then the front.

cheers.joe.
      Thx for the input, this helps me. I called and my local store does them to me for:

Rear: 215$ CDN all taxes included
      Front: 179$ CDN all taxes included
      Total: 394$ CDN Tax in. or 372.94 USD if your from the south

So I put that that on hold for now... I'll see if I can't find better elsewhere or on the net.

In the mean time, nothing to do with tires.... I still wanted to put something new on my bike so I ordered the Illumiglo gauges loll

Comment

Big Rubber!

Looking forward to seeing it as well. I just picked up a 2006 and will be looking to put a bigger tire on the rear soon too. Hey its your bike so you build it like you want it. Post the pictures when you get a chance. There are many of us who like custom work so keep it up.

Comment

I've been following this post for quite awhile. Any pictures on the turbo yet?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

This whole turbo thing is

I think all of it is actually..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
              This whole turbo thing is

I think all of it is actually..
              Grumpy j/k

Anyway guess you're right, I did measure a lot in advance off my swingarmswap and a 190 tyre would leave imo too little slack between chain and tyre. (unless you'd use an offset frontsprocket, which wasn't mentioned in this thread)
              Apart from that 20+ HP from a really expensive mod like a turbo on a 2006 Kat?
              Would be a lot cheaper and better to buy another more powerfull bike.
              (not to mention I would not be able to find a dealer willing to "invent" such mod, guess it would be less hard to find a customsbuilder willing to do such mod but again at what costs?)
              Last edited by kwebbel; 12-07-2007, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel View Post
                Grumpy j/k

Anyway guess you're right, I did measure a lot in advance off my swingarmswap and a 190 tyre would leave imo too little slack between chain and tyre. (unless you'd use an offset frontsprocket, which wasn't mentioned in this thread)
                There was a lot not mentioned in this thread, I held my tongue for for about 6 months. The only details the guy has offered is that he has a 2003 GSXR rim and the mechanic got it to fit by bending the swing arm.. Also there has never been a turbo seen.. If I got a turbo fitted on my bike I would be showing off the photos like it was my newborn son...

Plus James71 has been MIA for 4 months.. Right about the time people started asking for more pictures.

Comment

That's why I never bothered (as I often do) to react before....

ya postwhore!

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel View Post
                    That's why I never bothered (as I often do) to react before....

ya postwhore!

Nice.. So you call me out as a postwhore... That demands a reply..
                    (or by being silent I agree) but that means I need to post.. and that makes me... Grrr tricky little Belgians..

Comment

• I'm neither little nor Belgian

Comment

• Originally posted by kwebbel View Post
                        I'm neither little nor Belgian
                        Tricky little expatriated Dutchman living in Belgium..

Comment

• maybe something happend(like he spent too much on his turbo and couldnt pay for internet) or maybe it was soo fast he wreaked it?

Comment

• Originally posted by nosupra4u View Post
                            maybe something happend(like he spent too much on his turbo and couldnt pay for internet) or maybe it was soo fast he wreaked it?
                            Yeah... I'm sure that was it...

Comment

• Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                              Tricky little expatriated Dutchman living in Belgium..
                              Allmost right but still NOT little

Comment

• turbo with stock exhaust? seriously?

poser
                                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X