Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

On w/ the mods: 190 rear tire,20+ HP gain, here we go!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

theres nothing overly wrong with going to a 180/190 tyre, wheelbase is long, and the front carry 120. much like the big boys on the 1k missiles. its not needed, as the 160/170 profile does the job as well.

ive got a sv650s, ive been playing round with, and ive fitted up a zx6r front, rear and subframe to. the rear uses the zx6r swingarm and rear wheel, i run a 180/55 for its taller steeper profile to aid steering turn in, and edge grip. so id suggest you go for this size tyre, 10mm isnt much to lose on the width. and as you can see below, dosnt effect me in the slightest.

so, go for it mate, 190 isnt an issue on a kat, and ive got one on my own kat too...

tho i seriously suggest you opt for a 03 or newer R1 rim, its miles lighter, and yet is 6inch wide.

as for your power adding, nitrous is fine on a standard engine, for longevity dont go over 30% gain from standard engine, and pay exceptional attention to tuning the system, "wet kits" are safer then dry shots too. my kat had a turbo system on it and went on to make approx 140rwhp (no dyno, but passed 1/4 mile in 10.33 @ 136mph) on 8psi reliably for 15k miles, cant tell you how long it would have lasted as ive torn it all down to build it up as a drag bike.

cheers.joe.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymofo
      theres nothing overly wrong with going to a 180/190 tyre, wheelbase is long, and the front carry 120. much like the big boys on the 1k missiles. its not needed, as the 160/170 profile does the job as well.

ive got a sv650s, ive been playing round with, and ive fitted up a zx6r front, rear and subframe to. the rear uses the zx6r swingarm and rear wheel, i run a 180/55 for its taller steeper profile to aid steering turn in, and edge grip. so id suggest you go for this size tyre, 10mm isnt much to lose on the width. and as you can see below, dosnt effect me in the slightest.

so, go for it mate, 190 isnt an issue on a kat, and ive got one on my own kat too...

tho i seriously suggest you opt for a 03 or newer R1 rim, its miles lighter, and yet is 6inch wide.

as for your power adding, nitrous is fine on a standard engine, for longevity dont go over 30% gain from standard engine, and pay exceptional attention to tuning the system, "wet kits" are safer then dry shots too. my kat had a turbo system on it and went on to make approx 140rwhp (no dyno, but passed 1/4 mile in 10.33 @ 136mph) on 8psi reliably for 15k miles, cant tell you how long it would have lasted as ive torn it all down to build it up as a drag bike.

cheers.joe.
      He's ALIVE!!!

Well, well, well, what a surprise! Nice to hear from you again Joe I hope everythings good

besides Waltari, crazymofo is the other guy I would listen to and ask for opinion/advise/tips when it comes to "FrankenKat"-ing your kat (no offence to others) but thats just me.

Joe knows his $hit! and he's got the "Widowmaker" to proove it!

thats my $.02 and if you dont like it, read my Signature
      PAUL
      93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

gday paul, thanks for the warm re-welcome, and yeah mate, very much alive and well mate.

been ever so busy racing the SV, crashing the SV, rebuilding the SV, and thrashing the SV LOL!! not to mention also working full time, so havent had much time to finish the kat, or even get on to these boards lately.

been put back to a lesser work load, and racing is over for now so got some spare time, you'll see me round here more often and see some updates on widowmakers transformation into a 9 sec drag bike (hopefully!)

cheers.joe.

Comment

crazymofo

Sounds great! Yes, I'm going for it. Dropping the bike off this week!
          Thanks for the input
          Think I'll start a thread asking "What's the biggest tire you can put on a Kat?"

Comment

you can do what I did.wich by most is nothing and stupid, and a big back tire will hurt the handling of the bike well I have all I wanted on the bike the gsxr forks and a 190 rear tire and a big bore with lots of HP and after all this I can say that it handles better then I thought it could and it turns it to turns just as easy as it ever did and to me much better.

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
              the stock b12's put out somewhere around 120ish hp and 70ish lbs/ft of torque.
              More like 100-105-ish . The NEW B1250 only puts out like 107 and 77ft/lbs . But with a stage 3 the old B12 does 130hp no problem . I think I read that a cam swap and stage 2 tuning has it close to that as well without losing TOO much down low ....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Here we go!

For those who wanted me to post up on the progress I dropped the bike off on Friday, May 8th.

I am having both engine and rear end done together. I hate being without her for this long but picking my baby up will be exciting! He said in two weeks he can have it ready to drive off. I can't wait!

A couple of things I added to the project are a new right fairing from Suzuki and frame sliders. No other changes to the plan.
                Think I'll start a thread asking "What's the biggest tire you can put on a Kat?"

Comment

Ok james, here is how the finished swap looks like... at lease on my kat.

Comment

Looks great, man! Hey thanks for emailing all of the pics of this kat. It really helped me get an idea of it's finished appearance. I am going nuts with nothing to ride! This is a good reason to have two bikes, so you never find yourself without one. Wouldn't ya know there hasn't been a drop of rain here since I took her in for the mods.
                    One week left! I should pick up the fat kat on friday or sat NEXT WEEK.

He was able to use my swingarm by manipulating it's shape and widening it. Saved me a few hundred bucks.

Comment

great! send me pictures when you get your kat.

Comment

Sic, I'm feeling inspired

Comment

Here we go!

My builder called last night at 10:00pm from his shop and said the kat was ready. I picked her up early this morning, and rode home which is about a 30 mile ride. Everything felt great, and well designed. Now, the only things on the drawing board this year are simple. Install the new fairing I ordered from Suzuki, frame sliders, integrated tail light and signals to remove the rest of the fender, slap on the new "GSXF" decals I ordered from teddy.

Anyway folks, here she is!!

EDIT: deleted pics to make room for new ones on pg 3

Comment

NICE!! Can you get some side shots for us nosey bastages?

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

look great! is that a 190 or 180 tire? mine looks a little wider.

Comment

Sure. I will take more when I get home. I just snapped a few quickly before work this morning.

here ya go.

It's a 190
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X