X

Tire install

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire install

What do I have to do to remove the rear wheel so I can save on getting my new tire installed?

Do I have to remove the sprocket and rotor from the wheel when I do get it off?

I've got the factory service manual here but it just says unbolt wheel lol.

also I can do this on a rear stand correct?

I just use the center stand.

Take out cotter pin, undo nut. Then while sitting behind the bike, Pull axle out. Then I push the rear wheel forward so the chain has enough slack to get it off the rear sprocket. Then pull out rear wheel.

You can also loosen the rear caliper arm so it has some play in it, just remember to re-torque them.

Make sure you clean and re-lube the axle before you install it.

Install in reverse order. Make sure the rear wheel is lined up right and torque to the proper amount.
    Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
      I just use the center stand.

Take out cotter pin, undo nut. Then while sitting behind the bike, Pull axle out. Then I push the rear wheel forward so the chain has enough slack to get it off the rear sprocket. Then pull out rear wheel.

You can also loosen the rear caliper arm so it has some play in it, just remember to re-torque them.

Make sure you clean and re-lube the axle before you install it.

Install in reverse order. Make sure the rear wheel is lined up right and torque to the proper amount.
      wheel bearing grease?

Comment

A few additions.
        Before removing the axle loosen up the adjuster nuts.
        (a lot) you don't need to have to fight that tension while pulling the wheel..
        Next after removing the nut make note of and remove the washer and adjust indicator plate.

Carefully slide out the axle. support the caliper so it doesn't bang into the swing arm (pre 98 ) hit the ground (98+) also watch for any spacers or washers (I don't think there are any..

After the wheel is out the sprocket mount will (can anyway) come right off. If you are dropping it off at a shop keep the sprocket and cush rubbers at home.
        This prevents any losses while it is at the shop. and keeps the filthy sprocket out of your car..

Comment

And pump your rear brake after you put the wheel back on . Scary the first time you go to use it and it don't work ....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
            And pump your rear brake after you put the wheel back on . Scary the first time you go to use it and it don't work ....
            Got the tire installed today, getting ready to pull out to test it out and remembered what you said. Lol that would have been scary.

Anyways, took about 10mins get the wheel off, went to the shop and they had it ready in 15mins, picked up some grease while I was there and a grunge brush.

Got back home and well it took a bit longer to get it back on, what a pain trying to get everything lined up by myself. But I also took the time to clean the swingarm and everything around there.

Took a little trip to get the tire scrubbed in, going to take it for a ride tomorrow to test it out

Comment

Once you get the routine down , it gets a LITTLE easier ..... I wedge my feet under the wheel as I slide the axle into place , and once it's stared , bang it into place with a mallet while holding the wheel up with my other hand . Easiest way I found yet to do it myslef , and so far no damage to anything .

Comment

i wish i had a center stand. i did basically the same thing but using jackstands that continually wanted to pop out from under the bike.
                '93 naked kat 600 (wrecked and sold)
                '82 v45 magna 750 (sold)
                '80 xj650 maxim
                "evil" '96 saturn sl2
                '90 toyota pickup (killed by farm implement)
                '94 toyota pickup 265000 miles and counting

http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33006 my bike as it was

Comment

Originally posted by Carsucharda
                  i wish i had a center stand. i did basically the same thing but using jackstands that continually wanted to pop out from under the bike.
                  I used my t-rex rear stand, you can get one off ebay for 50bux shipped.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how to change my front tire. Little bumps/bubbles popped up all over the tire and made the ride on the freeway a little more interesting.

Comment

For you slider on the 98-03 it should be the same as the rear wheel with the exception of the pinch bolt on the clutch side of the forks you'll need to loosen first. After that just take out the cotter pin, and unbolt
                      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                      18v Rigid Drill
                      Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Originally posted by SL1D3R
                        I'm trying to figure out how to change my front tire. Little bumps/bubbles popped up all over the tire and made the ride on the freeway a little more interesting.
                        you will need either jack stands to get the front off the ground or a front stand if you have one.

how much does the shop charge to install it?

Comment

Originally posted by 87vert
                          Originally posted by SL1D3R
                          you will need either jack stands to get the front off the ground or a front stand if you have one.

how much does the shop charge to install it?
                          I haven't inquired. Got home Sat. evening and they were all closed. They're all closed today, too.

You know, I could have somebody lean on the back of the bike to pop the front wheel off the ground. Just a thought.

Comment

I just onbolt mine , shoulder-check the headlight up , pull the wheel out , then while holding the front up wedge something under it . Not real hard .

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                              I just onbolt mine , shoulder-check the headlight up , pull the wheel out , then while holding the front up wedge something under it . Not real hard .
                              Yea, if you're the hulk...lol

If you put enough weight on the back, and the bike is on the center stand, it will rock back on the back wheel, I just put two 45lb plates on the back and it worked, probably not the safest idea, but it worked...
                              Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                              18v Rigid Drill
                              Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                              New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Working...
                              X