X

Will This Tire Work ? Shinko Advance Radial 005 170/60ZR-17

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will This Tire Work ? Shinko Advance Radial 005 170/60ZR-17

I need to know if this size tire will work for my 2001 Kat, and if so, what will be the difference ?
    Pray
    Until
    Something
    Happens

use a 160/60/17 I would not go any wider

Comment

Don't use shinkos. You'll probably be happier on a 150/70/17. Make sure to match the height on the front tire.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Shinkos are ok for just touring or dragracing but not too good in the curves.

Comment

I agree with that tire size!

I have shinkos installed on my Kat that same size, and let me tell you its awesome, maybe there are better out there, but I noticed that my bike is so much more stable thant using the stock size, and where I live there are a LOT of curves and these tires work better that the stock ones, and as somebody said I only use my bike for touring and highway use (I go to work everyday, 65 miles round trip)

Comment

Bigger than stck? Good idea?

use a 160/60/17 I would not go any wider

dont go wider than the rim allows. that's 160 if your stock. if you want 180 or 190 or hell, even 170 you need to widen your swingarm and get a bigger rim. i did and it handles BETTER than ever. check my profile if you're interested...

james71
            Think I'll start a thread asking "What's the biggest tire you can put on a Kat?"

Comment

You guys should really learn how to search on here.

I only say that because this same question is asked at least 20 times a month. (maybe a slight exaggeration)

Check out this thread. There is also a link in there to CyberPoet's website where there is more information than you will want to know about tires on there. In the thread below he explains about why to not mount wide tires on a narrow rim.

However, all things said..... people do what they want anyway regardless of what people try to tell them. If you want to mount them up.... go ahead.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
              who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

i'd only go 160, I have a 160/60 on the rear and the shinkos seem to be alittle wider than other tires, I had a 160 strada and the shinko is quite a bit wider than it.

Comment

Originally posted by tigers202002
                  i'd only go 160, I have a 160/60 on the rear and the shinkos seem to be alittle wider than other tires, I had a 160 strada and the shinko is quite a bit wider than it.
                  Yeah, it seems that 160 are within the specs of the stock rim... I would follow that recommendation.

Even for my cars I always repects the specs tolerance, It's a general rule for me.. If you consider changing the swingarm, the rim, etc... that another story.

I went and looked, manufacturers offer from 140 to 160 wide on 4.5x17 rims...

Comment

Originally posted by slamcool
                    Originally posted by tigers202002
                    Yeah, it seems that 160 are within the specs of the stock rim... I would follow that recommendation.

Even for my cars I always repects the specs tolerance, It's a general rule for me.. If you consider changing the swingarm, the rim, etc... that another story.

I went and looked, manufacturers offer from 140 to 160 wide on 4.5x17 rims...
                    160/60 is the widest tire for a 98+. 150/70 for a pre 98 with 98 wheels. I think the pre 98 wheels are 3.5", not 4.5"
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                    X