X

Front wheel removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front wheel removal

alright guy, the tires came in early and the rear tire is off, i now have the front forks on jacks and ready to take the front tire off, only problem is the manual says remove cotter pin and so on and so forth just like the back except i dont have a cotter pin, i have a allen opening where my cotterpin and axle nut should be???? question is do i just take an allen to it and unscrew it or what??? i would have just tried tonight but walmart didnt carry a 12mm allen like i need, so ill have to wait till the morning thanks for the help again guys.

boomer

They (suzuki) changed the front end of the bike a little in 03, but you are on the right track, loosen the axle pinch nut just like it says in your manual, and just get a 12mm hex socket and you'll be good to go. I had a tough time finding this tool though. Don't bother with home depot/lowes they only have em' up to 10mm. Sears has a 12mm allen wrench if you are lucky only saw one on the shelf at mine, and it looked like it had been there since WWII, if they have one, you'll need to put something on the end of it to get more torque to loosen the bolt, the allen key they have is rather short and I don't think you'll be able to loosen the bolt with just that.

I ended up having to go to my local harbor freight to get a 12mm hex socket.

I'm not sure where you live, but if your local tool store doesn't have one then I think your only option is to order one form sears or I think harbor freight has them on their website if your looking for a cheaper route.
    Unless you can find a friend that has one.

Hope that helps!
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

ok atleast thats all it takes, and actually i know my autozone has one cuz we needed one for my buddies car a year or so ago, but thank you very much for the assistance.

Comment

Some shops carry an "axle wrench" It has the hex you need and fits into a socket..

Umm a search should have pulled this up..
        someone asked this identical question last week.

Comment

unfortunately with a search nothing came up

Comment

DANG! I never tried autozone, I have a few friends that work at advance auto parts, and they didn't have it, never thought to check there.
            Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
            18v Rigid Drill
            Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
            New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

yeah just picked it up and they had it, so now my questions is, while my front forks are sitting on my jack stands, they "swivel" or "rotate" but the handlebars seams to stay the same??? am i just imagining this or am i messing up my "alignment" or what do i need to do to keep the wheel in line with the handlebars???? thanks guys

Comment

Working...
              X