problems with me size..!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with me size..!!

you guys are all gonna h8 me...!

despite looking through most ov the posts and finding out what size tyre can go on the rims... no1 has seemed to mention any problems with the tyre catchin the swingarm ,chain,brakesystems, forks etc... im on a '95 600 with stock tyres (B'stone BT45 front and Avon ST46 rear)

has ne1 experienced any issues after altering the tyre size...?

As long as you stay within the sizes discussed on here, you will have no problems with any of those things.

On a pre-98 600 with the stock 3.5" rim the widest tire you can SAFELY mount up is a 150. With a 150, you will not have any problems with the tire hitting anything on the bike. The 98+'s have a wider rim and can handle a 160 tire, and still not hit anything. The bikes have the same swingarm essentially.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

With a 150 on the back, I can still fit my hand in between the brake arm and the tire. A 170 (different wheel to match) would be a tight fit. 180 requires a swingarm swap.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I have a 170 60 on my pre 750 no clearance issues at all.
        But I kinda regret it. While I needed a new tire and it's worlds better than the Mc.Crappem that was on it, most of the gains in having a better tire were lost in the distortion. I have 3/4 inch chicken strips that are not going away because that part of the tire is unusable. So like I just said in another post. It depends on what you are looking for. If you have used up every last drop of your stock 150 you can try a 160 try then if you still need more you really ought to fit another rim. The real limiting factor (IMO) is not the clearance but the usability.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
          I have a 170 60 on my pre 750 no clearance issues at all.
          But I kinda regret it. While I needed a new tire and it's worlds better than the Mc.Crappem that was on it, most of the gains in having a better tire were lost in the distortion. I have 3/4 inch chicken strips that are not going away because that part of the tire is unusable. So like I just said in another post. It depends on what you are looking for. If you have used up every last drop of your stock 150 you can try a 160 try then if you still need more you really ought to fit another rim. The real limiting factor (IMO) is not the clearance but the usability.
          Would a 5.5 rim fit in the back? That would bring the profile back down. I believe the centers are the same on the 98+ kat wheels and the gsxr's.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Yeah I like the size.. I'm able to change the geometry to account for the increase.. Let me get a tape measure......
            I have a 3/8 between the tire and the brake arm and 3/4 between the chain and the tire. I'm not sure if I fit a wider rim if the tire would clear the brake arm..

Comment

Hey guys... the original poster has a pre-98 600... 3.5" rim. Stock width is 140, but can mount up a 150. Not a 160 like mentioned above.

I was running a 150/60 on my 3.5" rim and also had those unuseable chicken strips. Now that same tire is mounted up on a 4.5" rim and I can already tell I'll be able to use all of it now.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
              who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

cheers guys.. again the site has answered another question 4me..

so glad i found this site

Comment

Working...
                X