• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Rebuild.. for the pre pre??

Hello all. So I want to change three things in particular this winter:
    fork oil
    fork seals
    and fork dust covers

the forks are from a different bike, a Katana, and are going on a 750.. (hey whats the deal.. just google it right!?!) WELL this particular 750 has NON adjustable setup.. so there is no screw to tak off at the top.. which has been the first step in all the how-to's I have found. even watched Peter's video.. TWICE.

so the dust covers look "aged".. and that could possibly mean the seals should be replaced too.. the fork oil seems a bit "too forgiving" as they tend to travel somewhat when just pushing it around the shop. and im slapping myself as I type because I just misplaced the damaged forks as after i took the cap off to find that the internals were ok, the outer 41mm tube was bent and they could not be swapped so I bolted on the non adjustable setup.

How do I change the fork oil, and parts for the Non Adjustable setup? I can grab some pics sometime tonight . the forks were off an 88 750.. I am also interested in a compatible parts list as I have found different numbers associated with each of the three items. (or i could just use some gaiters maybe?.)

grabbed this when I installed the barrel ignition this is how the top of the forks looks

Thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by kbotk89; 10-16-2015, 09:48 AM.
    93 Kat 750
    02 RAM 1500
    04 BMW X3
    ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

There was no '88 kat 750. Do you have gsxr forks?

Those looks somewhat similar to the forks on my old ninja 250 - I'm willing to bet if you push down in the center, you will reveal a circlip/retaining ring that you need to remove, then things will start coming apart.
    Last edited by shpielers; 10-14-2015, 03:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I'm no professional but they definitely don't look like zuki forks
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Look like 88' 600 fork tops. You sure you have a 750. People have been lied to before...+1 on the circlip. Be carful, things can fly if not ready for it. Make sure the wheel is off the ground a little, it unloads the forks. Pics of the lower fork would help.
        Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-14-2015, 09:30 PM.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

yes my bike is a 1993 gsxf 750.. and The forks came from a gsxf year 89 but the tag was too degraded to read the rest. I know that looking over the donor carcass the triple trees matched.frames matched. right side lower control was that silly upside u or bow shape. the fork length and diameters were the same. the only noticable different was in the foot peg style as I also went to scavenge that but it had no heel guard.there was also no seat, or lights or back end, even the fuses were scavenged. the front wheels were the same size ( got that too but I dont need it, its a three spoke, split style) I can be certain that it wasn't from a gsxr as there was a carcass of one there as well with a readable tag.. and the frame was entirely different. I am going on vacation tomorrow so I will have to get out to the junkyard again to see if i can snag a pic.

as far as the forks,they are in surprisingly good shape, but as with any part that holds fluids I want to be sure that the fluids and components going in are new to me.
          Last edited by kbotk89; 10-16-2015, 09:53 AM.
          93 Kat 750
          02 RAM 1500
          04 BMW X3
          ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

Working...
          X