Installing Post 750 Shock on Post 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Post 750 Shock on Post 600

Alrighty fellas...

Got my shock from Tmod on the weekend. How exactly do I go about installing this thing?

I assume this has been done lots before, but what about mounting the nitrogen canister??? Seems like a bracket of some sort is needed to secure it to the bike.

Point me to some threads?
    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
    - Aaron

Ziptie to the left frame rail in the bubble area of the rear plastics. I used three zip ties and no problems in almost a year.

Comment

Originally posted by cool4kats View Post
      Ziptie to the left frame rail in the bubble area of the rear plastics. I used three zip ties and no problems in almost a year.
      Same here, even the number of zip ties
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

OEM set up location

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

And that's why I love this forum

Can anyone think of any issues I'll run into?

I would like to take off my swingarm while I'm at it so I can get it blasted and powder coated to the colour I want.
          - Aaron

Comment

Since the post 600 and 750 are basically the same frame and swing arm there should be no issues.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
              Since the post 600 and 750 are basically the same frame and swing arm there should be no issues.
              Sorry ZukiFred. I should have been more specific.

Is there anything to watch out for when I go to take my swing arm off the rest of the frame?

I.e. Something people usually forget about/screw up when taking the swing arm off.
              - Aaron

Comment

Replace all the bearing while u have it apart especially the ones on the swingarm you have it apart so its easy if you search the bearing by size you can get them for half the price of OEM. I dont have the web site saved anymore.
                Ride like it's your last ride
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFury View Post
                  Replace all the bearing while u have it apart especially the ones on the swingarm you have it apart so its easy if you search the bearing by size you can get them for half the price of OEM. I dont have the web site saved anymore.
                  That's a great suggestion. My Kat only has 14,000km on it, but it's probably best to change it out and forget about it.

Looked up the AllBallsRacing kits. Seems as if they only sell the dust seals ("Seal Kit")???

EDIT: Anyone remember what the specs were for life of a chain (kms/miles)? I might consider replacing that too.
                  Last edited by Aaron-71; 04-15-2015, 09:15 AM.
                  - Aaron

Comment

I have not done anything with the swingarm but as far as the shock goes there should not be any issues. Don't throw out your 600 shock. Stick it away just in case you keep your Kat long enough to need the 750 shock rebuilt or serviced again. At least you'll have the beat up 600 shock to go on a couple rides while the 750 shock is being serviced. Then you'll get that back to back comparison again to remind you why you just spent more money! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by cool4kats View Post
                      I have not done anything with the swingarm but as far as the shock goes there should not be any issues. Don't throw out your 600 shock. Stick it away just in case you keep your Kat long enough to need the 750 shock rebuilt or serviced again. At least you'll have the beat up 600 shock to go on a couple rides while the 750 shock is being serviced. Then you'll get that back to back comparison again to remind you why you just spent more money! LOL
                      Ha! Good point!

I'm currently keeping all of my OEM parts. Not throwing anything away at all.
                      - Aaron

Comment

if you change the Rear Shock with post 750 shock on post 600 is there any difference on ride? Height?
                        2001 GSX600F Katana Yellow

Comment

Nope. Height is the same.

750 shock is rebuidable, 600 is not. That's why it's recommended to swap. The 750 spring might be slightly stiffer, but mine was replaced with one correct to my weight so I'm honestly not sure.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
                            That's a great suggestion. My Kat only has 14,000km on it, but it's probably best to change it out and forget about it.

Looked up the AllBallsRacing kits. Seems as if they only sell the dust seals ("Seal Kit")???

EDIT: Anyone remember what the specs were for life of a chain (kms/miles)? I might consider replacing that too.
                            there is a spec. for chain stretch posted somewhere. My "original"? chain needed replacement @14K. Replacement RK xring chain lasted 50K miles before I replaced it again. Don't forget new sprockets.
                            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by pinoiryder View Post
                              if you change the Rear Shock with post 750 shock on post 600 is there any difference on ride? Height?
                              Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                              Nope. Height is the same.

750 shock is rebuidable, 600 is not. That's why it's recommended to swap. The 750 spring might be slightly stiffer, but mine was replaced with one correct to my weight so I'm honestly not sure.
                              Shpielers is correct. Ride height on my Kat was the EXACT same.

Going from a 600 shock to the 750 shock was a night and day difference. The 600 shock (mine was at 12,000km when replaced) was as stiff as steel - It was a lot like riding a boulder.

The 750 shock however, has a lot of give-take to it if you have it rebuilt. Contact Terry (Tmod on this forum) and have him rebuild a 750 for you.

I dumped about $500 into the shock (buying the shock, shipping it to Terry, had him rebuild it, test it, and ship it to my doorstep in Canada). Best $500 ever spent.

The rear 750 shock was re-sprung for my weight and was extremely comfortable. I would know because Regina's roads are awful; potholes everywhere! The purchaser of my Kat said he's never felt so comfortable on a bike before; he purchased my Kat even though he has some slight back problems. Money well spent

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                              there is a spec. for chain stretch posted somewhere. My "original"? chain needed replacement @14K. Replacement RK xring chain lasted 50K miles before I replaced it again. Don't forget new sprockets.
                              I was able to clean up my chain over about a 3-hour period and rejuvenate it back to working condition. I never did replace the chain before I sold it, but my hands sure hurt after I was done breaking all those rollers free and degreasing it.

My Kat pulled sooooooooo much harder with a very clean chain that was properly tensioned.
                              Last edited by Aaron-71; 11-02-2015, 05:14 PM.
                              - Aaron

Comment

Working...
                              X