rear brake not working

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake not working

Hi need some advice on rear brake issues please
    My 89 gsx600f developed a squeak from the rear brake.so yesterday I stripped the pads from the caliper by pushing the pistons back slightly pulling the pins out and removing the pads.i then went over the pads with some wet and dry cleaned the pins up and applied a thin film of brake grease to the pins and pad backings aswell as the antisqueal plates.took for a test ride this morning and the rear brake doesnt stop the bike until the pedal is nearly all the way down.the pedals at the right height and worked perfect before.theres plenty of meat on the pads and didnt remove hardly anything off the pads.i also didnt remove the caliper just the pads.do i need to adjust the pedal somehow so it engages more when the pedal is first pressed.any help and advice greatly appreciated as need to use the bike tomoro

Adjustment of the pedal itself isn't going to change anything except movable range of the pedal. If you need to do that loosen the clamp on the brake pedal, slide it off and back on at the setting you want.

Bleed the brakes, you may have introduced air into the system.
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Could air get into the system though as I only remved the pads

Comment

Have you checked brake fluid levels?
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

That is a sign that the caliper seals are going.... If you pump the brake, does it pump up and hold or get / stay soft?
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Stays soft if you push the lever by hand you can see the pads moving in and out but take it down the road and it just doesnt even slow it down.havent yet checked the fluid level but will check that.its just strange how it worked before I fiddled so makes me think its something ive done

Comment

If your level is good, plan on a rebuild of the master and caliper. Try bleeding it first.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                If your level is good, plan on a rebuild of the master and caliper. Try bleeding it first.
                I am going to try changing fluid and bleeding brake when I get home tonight and hopefully it will solve it.wish I had left it squeaking now

Comment

After chamging the fluid and bleeding the brake it seems to be working well again.will keep an eye on it and hopefully it wont do it again.on the plus side the squeaking has gone thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                  X