X

Racetech goodies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racetech goodies

So I finally got my RT springs and emulators installed last week, and had a chance to actually hit some twisties earlier today.
    W
    H
    O
    A

Major difference in handling. I know I'm not the first person to say this, but it's true. This is easily my favorite mod I've done, and I've done quite a bit. While I've liked all my mods, and think they were all worthwhile and worth the $, this is the only one that has given me a shit eating grin.

Springs: Properly rated for me weight, they were either .95 or 1.0kg (dont remember off the top of my head). The bike is MUCH more predictable. I had ~77k miles on it and the original springs/oil. Going through turns, the bike would almost drift wide. I've heard people describe their bike corning on rails after upgrading, I now know what they mean. It goes exactly where I point it, and stays on that line. I don't drift wide after passing the apex of turns. If I hit a crest or dip in a hard turn, the suspension isn't unsettled, I don't have a floating/diving sensation. Brake dive is drastically reduced. It is not eliminated, but what remains is very linear instead of happening as soon as I lightly apply brakes. Over all, the bike is more predictable, more stable, inspires much more confidence, and is a shitload more fun.
    I'd honestly go so far as to call this a safety upgrade. Sure it's a performance upgrade too (duh) but it makes the handling so much more precise and predictable that I think it would make learning to ride easier and safer. If you only have ~$100 to spend on modding your bike, get proper springs.

Emulators:
    I actually oopsied on the install a bit. I misread something and didn't drill the holes on the damping rods large enough. As a result, I don't think they're really doing anything/much yet. So that needs addressing. The purpose of them is to make the ride more plush - didn't happen. I pulled out the install instructions to reference the tuning guide (they are highly tunable and it's easy to do) and noticed my damping rod mistake. So I have to go back in at some point soon and get that taken care of before I can really comment fully on the emulators.
    While corning, the bike felt more stable and planted and less upset by minor bumps/dips. Straight line, I don't notice a difference. But again, that's on me. Once I get the rods taken care of, I'm sure I'll notice a difference.
    I currently have the yellow spring installed on the emulator which is more intended for racing purposes, and have 2 turns of preload on it. I'll leave that when I fix the damper rods, and see how things go. But I'm expecting to swap to the blue spring (recommend for road use) because I honestly don't ride very aggressively and commute more than 95% of the time I'm on the bike. I'd rather have the slight bias towards comfort instead of performance.

All in all, super happy and I know it will only get better. If you can rebuild forks, you can install emulators. (and obviously install springs) I don't consider this a complicated mod.

1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

+1, nite and start difference. No more slushy handling...
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Im ordering mine in a week or two. Cant wait!!! You're rubbin it in!!!
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

If you can rebuild forks, you can install emulators. (and obviously install springs) I don't consider this a complicated mod
        It's a little more complicated than that, with the brazing of the bleed holes and drilling, I can see someone screwing it up by missing or ignoring steps, ahem...,or not having the proper tools and supplies, therefore trying to mod the steps. It's not hard but be prepared. Practice with the brazing. I just welded them shut, kept the middle bleed hole. I kept the yellow spring installed my self.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Yeah...there is that whole following directions bit... Assuming your reading comprehension level is higher than say a drunk chimp (mine that day was apparently several levels below that...) it's not bad. I've never brazed anything before and didn't have a problem with it. Used a normal MAPP torch instead of propane (hotter temp), seems like it did the trick just fine. But I did practice a bit before sealing up any holes.

I ended up leaving the largest hole open - it's what I had the forks set to in the 1st place.

The brazing step is really the only thing I would expect to give most people a problem, everything else is pretty straight forward. Remove parts x y and z, drill/enlarge holes, put it together.

Not trying to trivialize it - you need to pay attention to what you're doing and do it correctly. Just trying to encourage the mechanically inclined to go for it.

Worst case scenario if you're not comfortable brazing/welding it shut yourself, wouldn't it be fairly inexpensive to have a pro do that for you?
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Agreed but, this is KR after all. Strange things happen.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

You people are all monsters.... My wallet officially hurts.

More upgrades to do!!!! It's been on my list for a while, but after fully reading/understanding Shpielers description, this sounds like a mandatory upgrade/mod.

Can anyone confirm whether or not Racetec is still offering the discount for KatRiders, even tho Tmod isn't there anymore?

And I'm not sure what everyone is referring to with the blue and yellow springs. Some more info on that would be really really helpful too so I order the correct springs for my Kat over the phone. I live in Canada and shipping is a B****, so getting an order correct the first time is critical!

More info encouraged! Just to re-iterate, my wallet hates you lol!
              2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
              - Aaron

Comment

The emulators will come with 2 different springs for tuning, instruction are included for tuning. I like the yellow myself.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

What ^ said.

Blue/yellow springs come with the emulators. Which one you decide to install depends on your riding style. Blue = softer/plusher yellow = more aggressive, even better handling.

Fork springs are completely totally unrelated to emulator springs.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

Comment

I found an unopened set of Racetech fork springs for my weight on ebay for $70 and free shipping. I have not done the emulators and do not plan on it. The springs alone made such a big difference. I like a spirited ride and with the springs, it does not do anything scary.

Comment

Thanks for the great info guys!

I assume that nobody can confirm this, given the lack of response to it?

Can anyone confirm whether or not Racetec is still offering the discount for KatRiders, even tho Tmod isn't there anymore?
                      Last edited by Aaron-71; 02-13-2015, 10:37 AM.
                      - Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
                        Thanks for the great info guys!

I assume that nobody can confirm this, given the lack of response to it?

Where did I go, bastads fired me and I didn't even know it.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                          Where did I go, bastads fired me and I didn't even know it.

Tmod
                          ??????? I thought that was the point of your move!

My mistake Tmod

EDIT: Since you're here Tmod, maybe you can answer this question I'm having....

Squiggy's 2008 Racetech spring + emulator install for our Kats refers to a "Racetech install manual" a lot.... Squiggy included a lot of description without many pictures when saying "refer to the Racetech manual...". My question.... Does the Racetech install manual come with lots of pictures for us stoopid people?
                          Last edited by Aaron-71; 02-13-2015, 10:57 AM.
                          - Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
                            ??????? I thought that was the point of your move!

My mistake Tmod

EDIT: Since you're here Tmod, maybe you can answer this question I'm having....

Squiggy's 2008 Racetech spring + emulator install for our Kats refers to a "Racetech install manual" a lot.... Squiggy included a lot of description without many pictures when saying "refer to the Racetech manual...". My question.... Does the Racetech install manual come with lots of pictures for us stoopid people?
                            Nope it only comes with one to show how to drill the holes but if you want to retain the rebound and not braze the top holes shut order the FPEV AD4101 P and it will sit on top of the damper rod without brazing any holes shut. You will still have to break the rebound rod off at the cap but hang onto that rod and if you decided the rebound is too fast or slow then pull the emulator and stick that D-Shape rod in there and adjust the rebound and re-install the emulator.

I didn't move to leave RT I moved to get out of that crappy state. I am still working for RT and you can get me either at the tech email addy on the RT site or 951-279-6655 x110.

Yes you still get the discount call x122 and speak to Jaime (pronounced Jamie)

Tmod

Comment

My RT goodies should be at my house when i get home!
                              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                              X