No announcement yet.
X

Spanner Nut on Steering Stem tightness?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanner Nut on Steering Stem tightness?

Hi guy's,
    I have had a bit of a wobble and decided to figure it out. Bike had 11k on it and now is at 20k. Always noticed it a bit. Was a bit better when I replaced the tires at 11.5k. Got worse as tires wore. Tried some ride on tire balancer and it helped. Just got new PR4 set and still some wobble. I ended up just never taking my hands off the bars but remembered my FJ1200 that I could take my hands off the bars any time and could even shift my weight to turn. Ended up checking the spanner nut on the steering stem. I could not find a spring balance to check the steering with so decided just to check it out. I was able to turn the spanner nut VERY easily with a drift and light hammer just tapping on it. It moved enough that two taps and I had to adjust my angle. I do not have the tool to torque the spanner nut. My question is this. Should I still be able to turn the nut with medium taps with the hammer or should it feel tight and not turn? By medium taps I mean tapping the drift from about 4-5 inches away without putting a lot of force to it. With the wheel off the ground I can still turn the bars with just a little force from my finger.

Mine was loose after replacing steering stem bearings -I couldn't lock the handle bars. (Key wouldn't turn, the locking post wouldn't engage) Tightening it made a huge difference in handling, particularly braking. I believe it's supposed to be at 85 ft/lbs which is a lot. So teeny hits with the drift are likely way loose still. I don't have the proper tools to actually set it at 85, but a normal torque wrench at 85 is a LOT of force.

Btw, I'm in your area and renting a bike tomorrow. Weather be damned, I'm riding. I believe you've mentioned Fridays are the days you get to hit the road - if you're interested in meeting up, shoot me a PM.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Felt great on the ride today. I did torque the top nut to spec. I pm'd you about trying to hook up for a ride.

Comment

Just curious - in an other post you mentioned having swapped out the steering column bearings - finally get rid of all the wobble?
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
          Just curious - in an other post you mentioned having swapped out the steering column bearings - finally get rid of all the wobble?
          Had some issues with my account so ended up making this one. I tried to change my email address and then re activation stuff went to spam that I did not check right in the middle of the steering stem issue.
          The steering is silky smooth now. Only got to check it out shortly as it started snowing just as I got it back together.
          I just saw you left a PM on the other account. I am still unable to post or respond on that account.

Comment

I did?? Huh. I know I sent the one back in the fall when I was in your neck of the woods. Don't recall sending anything recently.

I did?? Huh. I know I sent the one back in the fall when I was in your neck of the woods. Don't recall sending anything recently.

Glad the steering is all sorted out now though

I just picked up an adjustable spanner wrench 2 days ago - it'll be nice to not have to beat the nut with a hammer and screwdriver anymore.
            Last edited by shpielers; 02-04-2015, 06:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post

Glad the steering is all sorted out now though

I just picked up an adjustable spanner wrench 2 days ago - it'll be nice to not have to beat the nut with a hammer and screwdriver anymore.
              I logged back on to the rschlegel account and it was gone. I do live in the Mary Jane state. I don't smoke it but maybe our air is contaminated so I was seeing things! LOL!
              I saw a post where someone used a peanut grinder to shape an impact socket to fit the nut. Some work but cheaper than the $85 from Suzuki. I have barely touched mine and I hate the look of the nut smacked up.

Comment

Working...
              X