X

Unstable Ride!!??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unstable Ride!!??

I'm having this weird issue with my 88' GSX600, riding straight or in turns from about 40kph + up it feels like a wandering gyroscope. I don't know any other way of describing it. Like the front bars are gently being counter steered left & right, left & right ever so slightly.

I was thinking it was due to worn front shocks (because I've replaced everything else on the front end, All Balls steering head bearing set & wheel bearings) so this year I upgraded the front shocks with a set from a 92' GSX600 (rebuilt with new racetech springs, seals, bushings, pentosin CHF 11S oil ect...), low and behold the ride feel was exactly the same!!

My rubber is pretty fresh, a dynamic wheel imbalance maybe?? Not really sure what else would cause this. My initial thought was to add a steering dampener but from reading all the other posts about it, it's obviously not my solution.

I'd love to hear what you pros think!!

Peace!

Rear wheel alignment, bad rear bearings. New tires? Check condition, cupping, uneven wear.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

The rear looks lowered, way down.

That would certainly cause a problem if only the rear was dropped.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

did this happen before or after bearing replacement? if after are head bearings adjusted correctly?
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I have had a similar problem ever since I started riding my GSX750F a couple of months ago. I have never felt secure, so I replaced the front fork seals, because one was weeping slightly, I have adjusted the front and rear suspension settings and checked the tyre (tire) pressures, all with very little success.

At slow speed turning onto a major road, the bike would seem as though it wanted to just drop and was so difficult to ride compared to the Kawsaki ZR750 on which I learnt. In the wet I nearly crapped myself. I have been so disillusioned with my purchase that I thought maybe the frame was bent and have been thinking about getting a different bike.

Fortunately, I read an article in a magazine on how to read Tyre dates and went out to my garage to do some investigative work. To my horror, I discovered that the rear tyre, a Michelin Macadam (I have since discovered some people call them crapadams) was 14 years old and the front one, a Pirelli Diablo nearly as bad at 8 years old. The bike has only done 16,000 miles, but it is 15 years old, so I guess the Macadam on the back was a part worn replacement put on by a previous owner. It is the OEM brand fitted by SUzuki and the part worn was probably taken off by a savvy owner.

Today, I decided that I would see if two new tyres would save my GSXF from being sold, so I had fitted a matching pair of Avon Storm 2 Ultra tyres. What a difference they have made. They have completely transformed the bike and I am now looking forward to many years of pleasure from what is now a great bike. So, the moral of the story is check your tyres and dates!
          Last edited by 1999750; 07-12-2014, 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

Hi skidmark thats interesting about the tyres. How do tell how old they are?

Keith

Comment

The tire date code tells you when the tire was made, over time the rubber degrades from UV rays and such. A tire may LOOK as new with little wear, but that doesnt mean that much.
              Found this with google:

Last edited by ZookRick; 07-12-2014, 07:02 PM.
              1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
              V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
              Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Working...
              X