Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How do you guys bed in your new brake pads?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys bed in your new brake pads?

I was wondering how you guys go about bedding in new brake pads. Seems like a procedure that will have a lot of opinions. I've ordered new EBC HH pads for my pre 750 and will be putting them in this weekend.

A buddy of mine who raced for 15 years or so gave me his method which is what I'll be using for this set:

1) 10 easy stops from 25-ish mph. Let brakes cool for 15 minutes.

2) 10 progressively harder stops from about 30 mph. Let brakes cool for 15 minutes.

3) 10 hard stops from about 50 mph. Then ride bike around for a few minutes not using the front brakes so they cool.

4) Then stop with the rear brake only and let the fronts cool all the way down. After all that they should be bedded in good.

I do one test stop at slow speeds to verify the brakes work. Then ride normal.

If I was on a racetrack right after I might consider something different, but... for the street, that's way too much though in it.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

^ +1
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Are you guys trying to talk me out of doing ten stoppies? That's no fun.

Comment

Kinda...
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I just test that the brakes work a few times and go on with riding as if nothing has happened, no special brake ins. has worked for me every time
            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I did something similar to your described process when I was bedding in a rear pad - worked fine. It's the only pad I've had to replace though, so my experience is limited with this. Nice to know that it's not really necessary.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

great info because I have new pads and rotors coming in soon!

Comment

I just give them a pillow and a blanket and tell them Good night.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

lol

you dont bed in brakes Fred ,you run over the damn logs in the middle of the road ! that teaches both the log and brake whos who.
                    Last edited by mammut89; 04-25-2014, 02:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post

I just give them a pillow and a blanket and tell them Good night.
                      LOL I would read them a bedtime story and tuck them in too though :P
                      "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is not safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
                      ~ Helen Keller, The Open Door (1927)
                      '91 600 purchased in January 2000 with 7,707 miles

Comment

Working...
                      X