X

Handling Q

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling Q

I have a buddy with an SV 650. He's working out of state for a while so I'm winterizing it for him. Took it out for a spin on some local twisties to use up all the old gas and man...I think I finally know why everyone says stock Kat suspension sucks! I started on ninja 250s, moving up to my Kat was a HUGE improvement. But his SV kills the Kat in terms of handling. Uncomfortable vibrating SOB, but best handling bike I've ever been on. Anyways, to my question:

Would getting new front springs correct for my weight, and changing fork oil, + getting a 750 t-mod rebuilt and correctly sprung rear bring me up to that level? Would that kind of setup handle better than a bone stock 08 SV? Equivalent? Still not that well? Any comments from anyone with modded suspension experience, particularly if you've also happened to ride an SV would be great.
    I love my Kat, want to keep it till it does of old age. Just wondering if the suspension mods I want to do are going to bring it in line with what I now know are possible.

Thanks in advance!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Geometry is different and the SV is about 80lbs lighter. Lightish sports bike vs relatively heavy sports-tourer. The Kat suspension can be tuned to perform much better, but it will still be suspending a Kat.

Comment

Add emulators to the list of parts for the front end.

You can adjust the rake to increase the turn in/response by lowering the front end a little as well.

With the proper adjustments you won't notice the weight at any speed, and you can easily make the bike feel ... "flicky".... in those curves. Properly set up, your bike would handle better than a stock SV.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have interest in this as well. I'm at the point where I'm thinking about getting a newer GSX-R or CBR, for the improved handling on turns. I ride with a group who all have CBR/GSXR bikes, and when it gets into lots of twisties, I have trouble keeping up with them. When I ride a friend's CBR, I corner like a beast. I always have to take up the entire lane with my katana, where everyone on the newer bikes can ride side by side even around corners.
        - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
          ... everyone on the newer bikes can ride side by side even around corners.
          So you want to be an idiot like them. My ex riding buddy tried that on me. I abused the crap out of him at the next stop. He did it again, hence why he is "ex". Where's the safety margin? Where's the escape route if something unexpected happens (pothole, gravel, car, animal ...). Keeping a safety pocket around you while riding includes other bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
            So you want to be an idiot like them. My ex riding buddy tried that on me. I abused the crap out of him at the next stop. He did it again, hence why he is "ex". Where's the safety margin? Where's the escape route if something unexpected happens (pothole, gravel, car, animal ...). Keeping a safety pocket around you while riding includes other bikes.
            +1

The road is not Brands Hatch. The bikes are not YZFR7's. The riders are not Valentino Rossi.

Cornering in a pack may make some sense in a race - but on the road you need to be sensible as if any one little thing happens to one bike, it suddenly becomes an absolutely HUGE messy big thing for lots of bikes.

I wouldn't want to mop that up. I'd stay well clear and find better riding buddies.

Comment

Current : GSX750F 2006
              Previous : CB900F 1982

Comment

Ditto. I don't ride with my mom in law because she wants to ride side by side.

Thanks for the input guys! The list of mods I want to do just keeps growing...aiming for 750 bar risers and SS brake lines first, comfort and safety are bigger priorities than playing. (Granted...if my fork seals start leaking and I have to replace them anyways...might as well do new springs while I'm in there )
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

I have an 89 Katana and did a progressive spring mod to it. It handles much better than stock with less wallowing in the corners and better under hard braking. I just got a new SFV650 which handles way better in stock form than the Kat. As far as I can tell, the rake on both bikes is the same 25°. The Kat is 15 lbs heavier and 25mm longer wheel base. The Kat has shorter trail which you'd think would make it handle better. I find the Kat handles like a sow compared to the SFV. Although, I have to say that the Kat is a much more comfortable/smoother ride.

Comment

Full race tech suspension with emulators, r6 shock with race tech spring, changes the whole story...
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I put on a 750 racetech built shock back in January - very nice difference. Currently have RT springs and emulators (and seals and bushings) sitting in a box waiting for free time to drop in the front end. Looking forward to installing those and getting to feel the difference.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                        Full race tech suspension with emulators, r6 shock with race tech spring, changes the whole story...
                        Any ideas on a rough price to do the suspenion ?
                        I took my mate on the back lastnight and dammm i hated the way it felt. The rear is just way toooo soft with a pillion my liking.
                        steve

Comment

contact race tech. Tmod does suspension work but, he may be busy with the move.
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thing is im in the uk thou.

Comment

That'd make shipping rather pricey, but it's still doable. I know some UK folks have gotten Hagon shocks and though they were an improvement over stock. Might be worth looking into that also.
                              Rebuilding/valving/springing a shock from racetech or Tmod is going to be in the $4-500 ballpark:
                              Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                              From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                              this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

If you want to ride 2 up with the stock shock, up the preload to 6 or 7 and change the damping to 3 or 4. It helps. Still not as good as a shock that's been properly worked on, but it's better than the stock settings.
                              Last edited by shpielers; 05-28-2014, 11:32 AM.
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Working...
                              X