X

Looked at an 03 ZX6RR today-front end issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looked at an 03 ZX6RR today-front end issue

Went to look at an 03 Kawasaki ZX6RR today. For sale by a friend of mine from school.

Was tipped over by a vehicle backing up once and also tipped over by him coming into his driveway at less than 10 mph.

The issue.. the front wheel turns farther to the right than it does to the left (when sitting on it). The bike turns both ways until it hits the steering stop; the wheel and handlebars just turn a good amount farther to the right side. The handlebars seem to be straight in line with the front wheel from what I can tell. No serious front end damage can be seen, only some scratches and one crack in the front fairing.

I did not ride it. It was raining out and the right rearset is broken.

Walk away? or forks just need to be adjusted in the triple trees? Other possible issues?

I had one, rode it to the rally, loved it. Kreylin likes them and can tell you more. I'd get it if everything else is right .

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
      I had one, rode it to the rally, loved it. Kreylin likes them and can tell you more. I'd get it if everything else is right .
      I really like it as well! This front wheel/handle bar issue is scaring me a little though.
      Anyone know a good test to see if forks are bent while theyre on the bike? I don't think this is likely but want to make sure.

Comment

Do the bars touch the tank left or right when full lock side to side?

Comment

Originally posted by superbike View Post
          Do the bars touch the tank left or right when full lock side to side?
          Nope. It does seem like the right bar came closer to the tank than the left though. You could also clearly see when standing in front of the bike that the wheel turned much further to the right side then it did the left, the left didn't seem to turn very far imo. Just seemed very odd.

Comment

Do the clip-ons look symmetrical to one another side to side with the fork tubes straight forward? With the forks in the forward position, does the triple clamps look correct, either side of the clamp forward or back of the fork tubes?

Comment

I have no advice.......but I'm willing to learn something new. Keep us posted.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                Ditto, always love learning something new.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                  94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

A tape measure and the bike would make this simple enough to check things.

Use the measure to check distance from the triples (top and bottom) on both sides to a central singular point. Do the same for the forks legs at the axle.

If those all come up the same, then you need to loosen the axle and cross brace bolts on the fender, bounce the suspension a few times, and that should help line things back up.

If you find variances in those measurements... well, report and we go from there.

Bars get bent all the time, and a lot of times people don't realize they are... so I wouldn't go by them.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well I test rode the bike, let go of the bars at speed and she tracked straight so I don't think there is any serious damage. It only went down at about 10mph so I'm not very worried. Ended up buying it so once I get it back home I will look closer into the issue.

Krey I will do the measuring suggested once I get it home and get fairings off. Just eyeing everything up the triples and forks look fine with no signs of damage.

Everything just seems turned a bit to the right, the right bar gets closer than it should to the tank and I still think the wheel turns farther to the right than it does to the left. Maybe the right handlebar is just bent and I'm crazy.
                      Last edited by eddie_93katana; 10-24-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

congrats an good luck!
                        94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Working...
                        X