X

Rear caliper rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear caliper rebuild

Hi Guys. I'm rebuilding the rear caliper on a Suzuki GSX 750F (1990). I have removed the pistons and they are a little bit pitted and rusted in a couple of places. Should I replace them or do you think they will be ok once cleaned and new seals put in place? Cheers

Scrub them down with 0000 steel wool and see what you've got. If they still aren't shiny and smooth then replace them.

Don't forget to hone the cylinders. The hone from Auto zone works fine, Just dolubrication to use plenty of brake fluid for lubrication. Take your time and do it right. There's no sense taking chances with your brakes.
    Last edited by Wild-Bill; 09-01-2013, 09:42 AM.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

+1 to the cylinder honing and steel wool. I've had success with that in the past. But also as WB said, replace it if it still shows pitting after that. There's a thread on rear caliper rebuilds on here, helpful if you get stuck. It's bookmarked on my computer and I'm on my phone, so can't really link to it right now, but running a search should turn it up if you feel so inclined.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Honing the cylinder isn't necessary - just scrape out the corrosion. The only critical parts are the two channels where the rubber seals fit. That has to be cleaned and all corrosion removed. There is also a small groove within the channel that has to have the corrosion scraped out of it as well.
        The piston also has to be smooth and shouldn't have any pits. Light rust can be sandpapered off but anything deep will eventually leak.

Comment

Working...
        X